Mooney Speed 930 kts or 1070 mph

wcb

Anyone ever see something like this on Flight Aware.  

It shows I was traveling 1070 MPH from San Antonio TX to Hondo TX.  I was actually going from Houston to San Antonio and did not pass up San Antonio as it shows.

IMG_4558.jpg.85ceb9ac74fbe2a25060ecfe88535cc3.jpgIMG_4559.jpg.de40bea97af912f71976ff5c94b67695.jpg

• Like 1

You will see that the source of the data went from Houston CTR to MLAT...  at the same time the wild speeds changed. so something is off with the MLAT receiving stations in that area.. perhaps timing issues, or a maximum speed vector smoothing.   You also see that your ground track moves distinctly to the south at the same time, inconsistent with the direct track to the airport that you were probably flying. 

If you have ADSBout then the ground stations won't rely on MLAT, and 4 MLAT stations is a low number. 3 is the minimum for triangulation, 4 isn't much refinement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcb said:

Anyone ever see something like this on Flight Aware.  

It shows I was traveling 1070 MPH from San Antonio TX to Hondo TX.  I was actually going from Houston to San Antonio and did not pass up San Antonio as it shows.

IMG_4558.jpg.85ceb9ac74fbe2a25060ecfe88535cc3.jpgIMG_4559.jpg.de40bea97af912f71976ff5c94b67695.jpg

Your Mooney is faster than mine.

• Like 1

I haven't seen that before, but I had a flight through the barren wastelands of eastern Colorado where FlightAware showed my airspeed as 0 kt for a couple minutes.  I figured it was a byproduct of poor radar coverage or something like that and didn't give it a second thought. 

Fortunately during that duration of 0 kt flying, I didn't lose any altitude.  Who knew the Mooney could hover?

• Like 1

Ya, I've been over 700 kts also but in a blow torch with a wind. 

But alas, all my bragging rights are nothing to those who used to or still do sit in military blow torches and can do double what I've done. 

Did fly with a guy who had a sudden engine failure at 2.2M in a Phantom. Said he never wanted to repeat that one again. 

I have posted previously about my 170+ KT M20D model ride. But once and only once did I get to feel the speed of heat in it :-) :-)

If "speed of heat" is appropriate for a D model? 

Just as an aside- I always wanted to be the guy who retired off of the SST and went to a new job interview on say a G4 and when asked what kind of time I had, I'd respond with-  "Oh, not that much really, only about 9,000 hrs --- wait for it, wait for it---

ABOVE THE SPEED OF SOUND!"   :-) :-)

Obviously the OP had some anomaly in the computations transfers among the internet entities. Good thing we still do Dead Reckoning ain't it? "-) Break out the E6-B and a stop watch!