Cabin door gas strut

Has anyone installed a gas cylinder cabin door assist system on their Mooney?  I am interested in a system similar to the Door Steward offered for Cessna, Piper , and Beech aircraft.

8 hours ago, Ron said:

Has anyone installed a gas cylinder cabin door assist system on their Mooney?  I am interested in a system similar to the Door Steward offered for Cessna, Piper , and Beech aircraft.

I would be interested as well, or at least if there's a way to get my sad old slider to hold the door open more reliably so it doesn't keep hitting me in the back if I'm not holding it open as I get in. 

Iam very pessimistic about it working on our Mooney doors. Note how delicate our piano hinge is which only attaches the bottom 1/3 of the door compared to the much beefier hinges used on the other planes that support the gas strut. Secondly, since we sit so low in our Mooney seats I imagine the strut could cause some interference with moving the seat forward. My seat only has about one inch clearance there and it's not oversize like many I see. I am skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My slider works okay if you don't open it too far, then it comes apart but quick to put back together.  The issue I have is the slider pin that goes in the door sill comes out.  Its just a straight shank, seems like there should be some way for it to stay in.  One Mooney I looked at had the gas piston mod that his A&P did.  Small piece of angle aluminum on door sill that stuck into cabin about 1/2" and similar mounted on side of door interior.  It worked well

On 5/3/2019 at 2:15 PM, Ron said:

I put Door Stewards on both doors of a Cessna 182 I had and felt it was the best upgrade I made on that airplane. I have two on order for my Bonanza (cabin door and baggage door) and will have them installed at annual in a couple of weeks (along with an Orion LED Beacon and air conditioning).