Turn Coordinator Overhaul

I am by no means an expert but I’d say it depends on what your future panel plans may be. If you wanted to do it piece by piece then@gsxrpilot is your authority. For just a new ai you could do a g5, mid continent lifesaver, on up to an aspen. Our resident experts should be awake and mozy on in here shortly

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think TC are coming out by the 100’s right now. I would look for a nicer used one or upgrade to a lifesaver AI / similar. 

We’ll be removing one of each but not until November. 

Edited by MIm20c

8 minutes ago, wcb said:

I have a similar issue and was looking at the upgrade option any recommendations. @Creekrat   It actually seems to work fine but the brushes appear to be on the way out. 

IMG_2667.jpg.90d460f1535a0797f8322692f4a2d0e7.jpg

Yup that’s what mine looks like even when doing a steep turn :)

I currently have the dual G5 setup but it is my understanding that they do not replace the TC.

As per the Garmin stc you can replace the TC with the G5. Take a look at the panel layout on page 42 of the below link. If a dual G5 setup is used then you replace the TC and the DG/HSI.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_18.pdf

44 minutes ago, Creekrat said:

As per the Garmin stc you can replace the TC with the G5. Take a look at the panel layout on page 42 of the below link. If a dual G5 setup is used then you replace the TC and the DG/HSI.

Most commonly, the dual G5's are there to replace the AI and the DG/HSI. A G5 can be either an AI or a TC but not both according to the STC.

I have a TC that was pulled (working) for a panel upgrade. I actually had it pulled early to replace with a secondary AI (electric) with a Slip/Skid indictor:

(both will be for sale soon)

IMG_1503.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creekrat said:

I have already replace the AI and the DG.  Therefore, am I thought I had to keep the TC????  I will read through it again as well. 

Oops just saw Paul's comments after I posted @gsxrpilot   Paul and I have the same understanding .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoydB said:

I have a turn coordinator that apparently the Gyro has failed on.  Who do you all recommend for a reliable but fairly priced overhaul of the TC?

thanks in advance.

Best place is 

Keystone Instruments in Lock Haven PA  570-748-7083

Family run business, very fair, honest, fast turn around.

Ask for Ken or Pam

keystoneinstruments.com

Edited by tls pilot

8 minutes ago, Creekrat said:

In the turn coordinator position it is a backup to your primary AI.

Correct. But the point still stands that you can't replace BOTH your TC and AI with a single G5. You can replace one of them, but not both. And in this case, the OP has already replaced his AI with the G5, therefore it can't be used as a TC. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I would think TC are coming out by the 100’s right now. I would look for a nicer used one or upgrade to a lifesaver AI / similar. 

We’ll be removing one of each but not until November. 

Good call on the used ones.  Found a working used one for $240.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Boyd.

Mind if I ask a few questions regarding what you use your TC for?

Some TCs are used as an info source for the AP...  important to replace with a proper replacement... or the AP will be hurt...

Some TCs are used as a back-up for the AI... which is good when the TC is in good working condition...

Use caution with old TCs in IMC....

When TC bearings wear the TC needle bounces in turbulence.   They look good most of the time... but bounce around in a way that would be un-followable in bumpy IMC...

Some people are buying a D3 when a spare AI is desired at a low cost... Many have added an electric AI as a back-up instrument...

To replace a TC with an AI...you need to know the bank angle needed to complete 360° in two minutes... and have the ball mounted to the front of it for turn coordination...  One is pictured above.... (of course, the proper documentation is required as well)

If you don’t fly in IMC, or have a back-up IA already... a low buck replacement TC is a great idea...

I learned how crummy a worn TC was while training for the IR... Winter in NJ has a lot of turbulence, a real AI failure in IMC wouldn’t have ended very well... a memorable lesson.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI or instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-