Video recording on iPhone?

Any Mooney pilots that have put together a successful system to record in-cockpit video on a smartphone with ATC and Intercom audio mixed into the video stream? I know there are a lot of GoPro flyers doing it that way, but I'd like to use my iPhone to do such and its apparently a bigger problem than it seems. There's even a YouTube video "hack" on building a box to be able to do so. I know one pilot who does this with ease with his Android, but I even struggled today trying to plug an Droid into the system. I have the splitter cord that ads the 3mm male pin plug into the smartphone...but even that setup doesn't do the trick. Any feedback? Many thanks, Michael in Santa Rosa (M20C - N79390)

Lola at pre buy.jpg

Lola over Pacific at 159k.jpg

6084051305916827127_IMG_9366.JPG

Michael:

See the following.  Both recorded on an iPhone with an audio connection.

However the current cabling is from sporty's.  see https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/nflightcam-iphone-intercom-audio-interface-cable.html

This help?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

with a conventional camera I found that a mini tie clip mic in the headphone was the best all around for comms and ATC. DC headset, no noise cancelling.

pluggging into the unused comms jack you could hear a lot of electronic noise, like the trnasponder and stuff...

You can get a fisheye lens adaptor for the smartphone too, which I found made my cockpit vids heaps better...