Oil Leak - There's the Problem

Flew to Vegas last Friday and back on Saturday. On the flight back I started to get a fine mist of oil on the windscreen. Kept an eye on the oil pressure, lost about 1/2 a quart over the 90 minute flight. Emailed some pics to my mechanic and he stopped by the hangar to take a look, put some dye in the oil, cleaned the engine up, and told me to take it around the pattern once. I did that Tuesday after work and he went by today to see if he could see where it was coming from. I was worried about the #2 cylinder that has shown some very slight oil seepage for quite some time. He said there was no dye/leaks showing at the #2 cylinder, but the quick drain was spitting oil out and it was getting blown around. I guess on that longer flight (higher speeds) there was enough blowing around that it was coming up out the front of the cowling and back onto the windscreen. 

Small trail of oil across the top of the cowling after that 90 minute flight.

20190427_134000.thumb.jpg.813797be64765ff55212a3a77d3189a6.jpg

#2 that I was worried was the problem, apparently just a bunch of oil from the quick drain that was swirling and blowing around.

20190427_133934.thumb.jpg.4eea4647ce6e9913537329420902569c.jpg

After the trip around the pattern with the dye, here's the problem...

340775595_IMG_1632(003).thumb.JPG.8e154c3b58a03aa3da8c50acec377b4f.JPG

He gave me the part number that Spruce uses and told me I could have it sent to him and he will put it in. I told him I could just have my wife pick it up today and I'll stop by the hangar tonight to drain the oil and leave the part so he can swap it out tomorrow. Have I mentioned before that I think I have the best wife in the world? She encouraged me to get my license, buy the plane, and she picks up parts! Funny thing, she walked into Aircraft Spruce and the guy behind the counter recognized her and said "Pick up for Mr. Brown?" :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Richard,

Does she have a PPL? Yet?

:)

Best regards,

-a-

My question would be "does she have sister?".....:D.      Just kid'n, my wife loves flying and has never questioned anything spent on aviation, in fact she's just the opposite 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

My question would be "does she have sister?".....:D.      Just kid'n, my wife loves flying and has never questioned anything spent on aviation, in fact she's just the opposite 

Five brothers... No sisters... 

• Like 1

Mine has no desire to take the controls either, I'll let go of the yoke and she will get us wings level (left wing heavy) but after a few minutes she's had enough. In all fairness to my Mooney, the heavy wing seems to be related to seat I'm in :)

• Like 1

The airflow in our engine compartment never ceases to amaze me. 

As far as flying wives... mine soloed a C-172 a few years back.  And then promptly totaled it on a short cross country.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Mine has no desire to take the controls either, I'll let go of the yoke and she will get us wings level (left wing heavy) but after a few minutes she's had enough. In all fairness to my Mooney, the heavy wing seems to be related to seat I'm in :)

My wife is the same, except what intimidates her is the stack of books that came in my Gleim "You Can Be a Pilot" box . . . . She's the least-reading-est teacher I've ever known.

• Like 1

My wife was a “fearful flyer” when we first got the Mooney although she was fully supportive of the purchase (and helped pick the plane). I suggested that she take flying lessons because although there are certain issue to be worried about when flying, they weren’t really the ones she was worried about.

She went to the flight school and told them she wanted lessons in a 172 so they gave her the paperwork and told her that she should get renter’s insurance before her solo. Apparently, this turned into an awkward exchange when she replied “Are you kidding? There’s no way I’m flying a plane by myself!” 

She got too busy with work after the first few lessons, but she’s really helpful now with setting up the avionics and will talk to ATC and even fly a little during cruise. I wouldn’t be flying if I didn’t have a supportive spouse!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

I'm kind of intrigued about the quick-drain leaking.   I'm trying to think of easy ways to detect whether mine is doing anything similar.

I'll have to ask him if he can tell what was failing in it. On pre-flight when I check the oil I always shine a flashlight down in and look around, never saw any oil on the bottom piece of cowling below the quick drain. Maybe it was only when the engine was running and there was pressure that it was coming out, and flying it just put a nice misting around inside the cowling. There has been some oil around in various places but it was always just a little wet looking here and there, not enough to even drip out the bottom or run back the belly. I'm hopeful that I will have a dry, clean engine compartment at least for a little while now. 

As @Ragsf15e said, the airflow under the cowling is amazing. The leak apparently progressed enough that on the last flight it was blowing up out the front and onto the windscreen. The really amazing thing to me is the quick drain is on the right side, basically below the #3 cylinder, but it was coming out over the top of the cowling on the other side by the #2 cylinder. When I asked my A&P how long he wanted me to fly it after he put the dye in he said please, just one trip around the pattern. I'm guessing anything longer than that and it would have just all blown around so the whole engine compartment would be bright pink under the light and he would have no idea where it originated. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I'll have to ask him if he can tell what was failing in it. On pre-flight when I check the oil I always shine a flashlight down in and look around, never saw any oil on the bottom piece of cowling below the quick drain. Maybe it was only when the engine was running and there was pressure that it was coming out, and flying it just put a nice misting around inside the cowling. There has been some oil around in various places but it was always just a little wet looking here and there, not enough to even drip out the bottom or run back the belly. I'm hopeful that I will have a dry, clean engine compartment at least for a little while now. 

As @Ragsf15e said, the airflow under the cowling is amazing. The leak apparently progressed enough that on the last flight it was blowing up out the front and onto the windscreen. The really amazing thing to me is the quick drain is on the right side, basically below the #3 cylinder, but it was coming out over the top of the cowling on the other side by the #2 cylinder. When I asked my A&P how long he wanted me to fly it after he put the dye in he said please, just one trip around the pattern. I'm guessing anything longer than that and it would have just all blown around so the whole engine compartment would be bright pink under the light and he would have no idea where it originated. 

Did you replace the entire valve or replace the O rings?

Clarence

9 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I've thought about putting a short length of closed off hose on it

Yeah, I was thinking some sort of catch can arrangement, but that will only catch leaks out the spout.   If it's leaking around the fitting or the mechanism it might be trickier.

Sticking some shop towels or rags up there is probably not a great idea.  ;)

21 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I assume she's ok

Yep.  Was like the 4th time solo and she had never been great about getting the heavy elevator far enough back in the flare (I watched her abuse the Cessna on her solo).  Anyway landed hard on the nose wheel back at the home airport.  Real hard.  Went around. Flew a normal pattern.  Made a good landing.  Told the FBO to check the airplane thoroughly.  One blade had tip damage from prop strike.  Then they found the crack in the firewall above the nose gear.  The airplane was already very ragged and the engine tear down was enough to total it.

I was a bit miffed at her instructor but it could have ended worse.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 1

I don’t trust the quick drain any further than I can throw it. There are basically two tiny o-rings holding in all of your oil. I’ve thought about just putting a regular drain bolt back in since an oil change where the o-ring failed and the new oil I was pouring in started pouring out.  At any rate those o-rings are on my annual list now.  Maybe I need to 3D print a cap for it to give me extra peace of mind. 

7 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

I don’t trust the quick drain any further than I can throw it. There are basically two tiny o-rings holding in all of your oil. I’ve thought about just putting a regular drain bolt back in since an oil change where the o-ring failed and the new oil I was pouring in started pouring out.  At any rate those o-rings are on my annual list now.  Maybe I need to 3D print a cap for it to give me extra peace of mind. 

Our lives depend on o-rings, don't fear them.  They are everywhere.  Two o-rings in series will seal almost anything.  Modifying the quick release valve without the manufacturers permission is not allowed in certified aircraft.   Similarly, we are not allowed to leave hoses on them.

If you don't trust your o-rings in your quick-drain valve, your options are: (1) replace them, (2) replace the valve,  or (3) stop flying.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, Skates97 said:

After the trip around the pattern with the dye, here's the problem...

340775595_IMG_1632(003).thumb.JPG.8e154c3b58a03aa3da8c50acec377b4f.JPG

Richard, just curious-  How do you get all that dye off everything so you can use dye in the future to detect an oil leak?  Did your A&P suggest something? 

Had an oil leak. Was getting about 10+  hours/quart but oil use suddenly jumped to 3 hours/quart. Had oil on different places on the lower half of the engine. Cleaned the engine off and ran it around the pattern a few times. The only thing wet after that was the quick drain. Changed it out and no more missing oil.

According to my mechanic, changing the quick drain is recommended about every 10 years of average use. What really got my attention was the condition of the notches that hold the valve lever closed. They were worn away to the point that it didn't take much to flip them off the stops to the open position. 

• Like 1