Rust

I’m sure this has been covered but I must be searching the wrong things since I’m coming up empty handed. My question is in regards to rust and acceptable means of mitigation in the spread of it. If someone were to find rust on their cage(acceptable amounts. Not talking scrap the plane) what are the acceptable means to deal with it? After scuffing with say some Emory cloth, scotch brite pad, etc to get rid of the offending oxidation are products like ospho/por-15 ok to use? Of course after that the primer would be touched up and a product like corrosion x used as a preventative measure.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC 43.13-1B has a TON of info on rust treatment for tube steel parts, including our cages.  IIRC, the maintenance manual also has some more specific info.  Mooney SB 208B also has some info on treating rust on the steel cage

Obviously, the MM and SB's are approved info and AC 43.13-1B is acceptable info for repairs

31 minutes ago, Creekrat said:

I’m sure this has been covered but I must be searching the wrong things since I’m coming up empty handed. My question is in regards to rust and acceptable means of mitigation in the spread of it. If someone were to find rust on their cage(acceptable amounts. Not talking scrap the plane) what are the acceptable means to deal with it? After scuffing with say some Emory cloth, scotch brite pad, etc to get rid of the offending oxidation are products like ospho/por-15 ok to use? Of course after that the primer would be touched up and a product like corrosion x used as a preventative measure.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice above. I complied with this SB 208B many years ago. Our plane has been hangared it’s whole life so the cage was in great shape. The was one area on the pilot side where it appeared that a past fuel leak had compromised the paint in an area. Small amount of surface rust easily removed with steel wool. I chose a two part, zinc chromate epoxy primer (unobtainable in my state now) for the repaint. Decades later and it still looks new.

• 3 weeks later...

Answers to ‘rust’....

• Rust
  • oxidation
  • corrosion
  • SB 208
  • Surface corrosion
  • inter-granular corrosion (the evil one)

Same kind of thing, but sometimes when using the search function, the other word may get used...

When finding corrosion, you want to know what kind it is, on what type of metal...

Some is fix quickly, others can wait til annual... Some are not that important at all...

Rusty sheet metal fasteners are not as important as corroding wing spars...

Some aluminum bars corrode deeply, and quickly...

How to take care of... again depends on what material it is... Some aluminum like Al-Clad has a thin layer of protectant / aluminum... care is required to not accidentally remove the layer...

Following known procedures is important for protecting the investment....  the Mooney Maintenance Manual has most of these procedures or where to look them up...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-