JPI 830/930 Display Only Upgrade Difficulty?

Hi All,

I've got a JPI 830 with some segments failing in the display, plus I'd rather display all of the variables at once and upgrade to USB download vs. RS232.  I think I can cut the hole bigger and have space to slip a 930 display in the same location, and Chief sells the upgrade for $1300 (cheaper anywhere?).  My question is whether anyone has done this upgrade.  Paperwork aside, is it as simple as unplugging the harness from the 830 and plugging into the 930?

Phil

To go from 700 to 830 is not as simple as unplugging a harness most likely. If you have every available option for the 700, then the existing harnesses may go untouched. Only new(additional) sensors go on a new harness.
For 830 to 900/930, there are new and different probes to replace old ones, so some rewiring will be necessary.

Tom

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 65eTurbo said:

Hi All,

I've got a JPI 830 with some segments failing in the display, plus I'd rather display all of the variables at once and upgrade to USB download vs. RS232.  I think I can cut the hole bigger and have space to slip a 930 display in the same location, and Chief sells the upgrade for $1300 (cheaper anywhere?).  My question is whether anyone has done this upgrade.  Paperwork aside, is it as simple as unplugging the harness from the 830 and plugging into the 930?

Phil

Your description of "segments" failing sounds like you have either the 700 or 800 with the bar graph/mono-color display.The easy display upgrades are from the 700 to 730 and the 800 to 830. The 900/930 are certified primary instruments and have a lot more work associated with them, as @ArtVandelay noted above.

I have an EDM 830 with probes that is nearly out of my airframe that I will be parting with soon.  A EDM 900/930 requires all new probes to be installed and replaced as part of the Primary Engine reporting replacement.  They won't sell you an EDM 900/930 display (head) only without the probes unless you have a warranty issue or replacement one going back.

11 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I have an EDM 830 with probes that is nearly out of my airframe that I will be parting with soon.  A EDM 900/930 requires all new probes to be installed and replaced as part of the Primary Engine reporting replacement.  They won't sell you an EDM 900/930 display (head) only without the probes unless you have a warranty issue or replacement one going back.

Huh, I remember speaking with someone at JPI and they said I could buy a 900 and they could credit me for probes I reused, but they recommended changing at least the EGT probes.  That was a while back, so my memory may not be accurate, though.

I simply ended up swapping out 700 for a 730.  That upgrade is listed for $1300, and it simply consists of taking out the 700, installing a mounting bracket on the instrument panel, and plugging in the 730 to the same wire harness.  When you buy the 730, you do NOT need any of the options, the 730 automatically detects any inputs on the wire harness to determine what you have.  It took 3 hours moving stuff around on the panel to make the display fit, but the install itself took 10 minutes.

The 730 and 830 are identical.  The only difference is in name--if you have RPM and MP sensors, you have an 830.  If you don't, you have a 730.  According to JPI, the hardware automatically detects those sensors as well.

The only paperwork for a 730/830 is a log entry by an A&P.  IIRC, they both use the same STC as the 700.

The 900/930 requires an STC and 337, and obviously needs an IA involved.

He mentioned Chief's pricing, Spruce nor Chief will sell you then 900/930 without the probes.

I did not know that JPI would credit you.  Maybe this is true if you buy directly from them.

Okay, I'm getting "While we are at it-itis".  If I wanted to go primary, anyone know how the fuel works with Monroy tanks?  My fuel gauges read full for the first xx gallons (don't know, use JPI for this).  Does JPI use just one capacitance sensor, or floats, or what?

Okay, I'm getting "While we are at it-itis".  If I wanted to go primary, anyone know how the fuel works with Monroy tanks?  My fuel gauges read full for the first xx gallons (don't know, use JPI for this).  Does JPI use just one capacitance sensor, or floats, or what?

Factory is resistance with floats. 2 for a J with its 32 gallon tanks, how many do you have? And what’s the capacity for each?

Tom

I have the Monroy tanks which is factory 25 per side plus an additional 20 per side.  Two filler caps.  The inner cap has to be closed to fill the outers completely.  Fuel gauges are only accurate... dunno, when empty and maybe first 20 gallons per side, and don't indicate for the first hour per side approximately.  Also have sight gauges on each side for sanity check.

Anyone know the typical cause (I know there could be many but failure modes are typically pretty common) of a stock fuel gauge stuck at zero?

I have the Monroy tanks which is factory 25 per side plus an additional 20 per side.  Two filler caps.  The inner cap has to be closed to fill the outers completely.  Fuel gauges are only accurate... dunno, when empty and maybe first 20 gallons per side, and don't indicate for the first hour per side approximately.  Also have sight gauges on each side for sanity check.
Anyone know the typical cause (I know there could be many but failure modes are typically pretty common) of a stock fuel gauge stuck at zero?

You need to pull back sidewall and check resistance, if okay at sender, then it’s a wiring problem, check reading at the gauge. If still ok, then it’s an instrument problem.

Tom

19 hours ago, 65eTurbo said:

Art, the transducers are measuring the fuel level of the OEM tanks only, and are probably full until the Monroy tanks have been drawn down a certain amount,  Then I assume the two tanks get drawn down evenly,  and then you will see some movement on the FQ.

Aerodon