*** WANTED IO-520 Engine ***

I am looking for a serviceable IO-520 engine. I am primarily looking for something mid time or less but I will also consider a high time, low time or even a rebuildable core. If it’s a core it needs to be priced Accordingly of  total time and if it has a VAR crankshaft or not. Seven stud is desired but not required. B, BB, BA ?

Thanks, Frank

7 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

@Frank B. that was pretty fast. :)

What did you find?

I found a older factory reman (1992). It is high time (over 1900) with good compression and it is a BA3B engine with the 7th stud and a VAR crankshaft. It was still on the plane so I got to fly it and do a compression test and the owner had continuous oil samples as well. It was being removed for a IO-550 Conversion. I plan to have it overhauled before I use it but I would still be interested in a low to mid time IO-520.

• Like 1

I have no idea if you would be interested but I read an article in EAA about swapping out engines at mid time so I've been curious.  I fly a 95 mooney ovation with a io550.  The engine was a new install when I bought the plane three years ago so I would guess (i'm at my office not near log books) the engine is four or five years old.  I have put six hundred hours on it in the last three years so the engine has about 800 hours.  It runs great, gets oil and filter and oil analysis every 33 hours.  If you wanted to purchase this engine as a running, flyable engine, I would pay the balance to replace the engine.  I was / am skeptical how this would work as most people want a core cost engine and then rebuild it and that would leave me with no incentive to scrap my current engine.  If however a buyer wanted to buy my engine for it's half life value, then it could work.  the article talked about the value of buying an installed engine which could be flown, compression tested etc, but a short search online found NO one selling such an engine so I'm not sure there is much market.  It does seem this concept could be popular with smaller engines which are more popular in homebuilts.  If this is the wrong engine or concept, no worries, but I am curious what happened to your old engine?  Glenn Reynolds 209-603-5206

On 5/3/2019 at 4:00 PM, Frank B. said:

I found a older factory reman (1992). It is high time (over 1900) with good compression and it is a BA3B engine with the 7th stud and a VAR crankshaft. It was still on the plane so I got to fly it and do a compression test and the owner had continuous oil samples as well. It was being removed for a IO-550 Conversion. I plan to have it overhauled before I use it but I would still be interested in a low to mid time IO-520.

airboat?

9 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Either you have an aggressive spell checker, or a very over powered piece of yellow fruit with a big engine on the front of it.

LOL ... Banana with two tails .... !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

got a Bellanca Viking with 140 smoh if you would like to buy that and change the engine then sell the plane. IO-520K  jerry pressley  423 231 v3491

Jerry, I have been watching your plane on e-bay, I had the same thought. I actually bought a 1900 hour engine that was still running strong and had planned to send it up to Jewell for a major then I found a fairly low time 520 / three blade prop package out on the West Coast. It is being removed for an 550 upgrade. I am just trying to work out the logistics with Josh / Dreamworx for him to pick it up for me.