Easiest way to get CFI ticket - I let them expire

Because I am not very smart sometimes, I somehow let my CFI ratings expire.  I need/want them back.  

Does anybody have any recent experience with the accelerated flight schools for CFI?  They expired years ago so can't go to the FSDO, if that was even an option anyway.  I have also heard that the only way is through a DPE anymore.  Would rather go do the training in somebody else's beater than my Mooney.

Thank in advance,

Mark  

Talk to your local FSDO.  They will have a list of examiners that are authorized to give the CFI checkride/renewal checkride.  I believe a renewal is just a renewal, whether it expired 1 month or 1 decade ago.

I would suggest calling him/her/them and just explain the situation and let them guide you through it.  They can probably also give some recommendations of flight schools that rent airplanes locally that they're comfortable working with.

3 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

Does anybody have any recent experience with the accelerated flight schools for CFI?

I'm using Livingston Aviation in Waterloo IA (KALO) for my CFI/CFII accelerated training the first two weeks of June. http://www.livinstonaviation.com You can complete the course in your airplane or theirs. I did my Commercial with them in November.

Word of warning - they are booked out at least 6 months, so this is an option only if you aren't in a hurry.

Cheers,
Rick

I know all about CFI reinstatements. I did mine in October and I did it in my Mooney. Mine was expired for nine years and my material/library was from ‘89/‘90. The first thing I did was decide to be over prepared since my initial CFI was a two day affair with a discontinuance and an aircraft grounding. I took the AOPA CFI online course twice while building a completely new library, the first book I bought was the CFI practical test standards. In there is a specific list of areas to be covered during a reinstatement checkride. I then complied a complete set of lesson plans since I would be expected to teach any of the certificates and ratings I originally had, and I had everything, CFII, MEI. Then I studied for a solid month while practicing the maneuvers and ground lessons with a local, on the ball CFI. By the way, he had been teaching full time for years and was still learning stuff in helping me with my reinstatement. Finally I contacted a recommended DPE and we chatted about my background and my plan to get my CFI back. He pretty much specified what we would do during the oral exam and the flying portion. Even though my goal was to show up over prepared, the DPE found a few areas that I was weak on. The main portion of the oral exam or discussion was logbook endorsements, runway incursions, foreign student pilot training, and get this: English as a second language. Those four areas are the latest problems that Oklahoma City is having in aviation training right now, so expect focused attention there.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any question.
HoustonTexasPilot@gmail.com.

SP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk