Catalina fly in - brand new runway

JohnB

Catalina Fly In - New runway - Preferred dates  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Catalina airport reopening May 3 Friday 3pm after the military re did it, no more potholes! How bout a Catalina Fly In? Mooney style! Dates preferred:

• Saturday May 4
    • Sunday May 5
    • Saturday May 11
    • Sunday May 12
    • Weekend in June
    • Weekend in July (before Oshkosh)

According to Catalina airport, the airport will be re opening on Friday May 3 at 3pm, with a brand new runway built by the military. (No more potholes, yaaay). Anyone up for a fly in to Catalina Airport? I think it would be huge fun to get a bunch of Mooneys taking over the new runway! If yes.. what do you think for a date?

• Saturday May 4
  • Sunday May 5
  • Saturday May 11
  • or?

Edited by JohnB

I can't make it any of those dates... I would recommend waiting a month or so, I think there will be a large number of planes heading there as soon as it re-opens and I don't think I want to be part of that craziness. You might also have better weather later in the summer as far as the marine layer goes. Anything in May-June you run the risk of it not burning off until after noon or later.

20 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I can't make it any of those dates... I would recommend waiting a month or so, I think there will be a large number of planes heading there as soon as it re-opens and I don't think I want to be part of that craziness. You might also have better weather later in the summer as far as the marine layer goes. Anything in May-June you run the risk of it not burning off until after noon or later.

17 minutes ago, Supercop0184 said:

Can’t do any of those. Could do late June 

Roger that, I put some June and July dates. July would need to be 1st or second weekend for me because of Oshkosh which I’m hoping to get to this year! 

• Like 1

Roger that, I put some June and July dates. July would need to be 1st or second weekend for me because of Oshkosh which I’m hoping to get to this year! 

I think a mid June or early July date would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to, but seeing I don't have a plane yet...

I do have a quick question though.  Running at race tracks, new asphalt is like a holy grail or many times the ever elusive unicorn.  When there is new asphalt, everyone has to come try it out.  Is it the same with the flying community?

Tom

We voted for July, as well.  I've landed there with the potholes and it was pretty rough - so, this is good news!  The shuttle/cab down to Avalon is pretty spendy, but I'd definitely plan to take Kara down there to stroll and eat.  This will be her first time there.

2 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

I would love to, but seeing I don't have a plane yet...

I do have a quick question though.  Running at race tracks, new asphalt is like a holy grail or many times the ever elusive unicorn.  When there is new asphalt, everyone has to come try it out.  Is it the same with the flying community?

Tom

Not quiet...traction isn’t an issue in this case plus the new runway is concrete

Expect morning June gloom delaying arrivals from May into July anyway making it problematic to set a good date in advance. Later in July - August will greatly improve chances of getting in; especially for VFR only folks.

I am looking forward to checking it out too. But I never had a problem with the old runway but was happy that it helped control the traffic. Next thing we’ll be complaining about is a lack of parking space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

grand opening fly in is May 25th - special events and airshow type stuff - parking might be difficult - but they have a sign up:

https://www.catalinaconservancy.org/index.php?s=general&p=memberadventures

If the weather is good then I will probably go that day, but would also love to meet up with mooney owners here in so-cal when you set something up!

Neighbor two hangars down flew to Catalina yesterday in his LSA. He said it wasn't busy yesterday but he had to park in the dirt, they weren't letting piston singles park on the ramp. I'm not sure if they are still working on part of it. 

Sounds like pavement takes a few months to have the volatile compounds (softeners) to evaporate out....

Driveways in NJ require at least a week....

The combination of warm weather and new pavement will make the new surface sensitive to high loads on tiny tires....

Expect some things to change/improve over time...

NJ PP thoughts only, CA probably uses something more sensitive and expensive... :)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Sounds like pavement takes a few months to have the volatile compounds (softeners) to evaporate out....

Driveways in NJ require at least a week....

The combination of warm weather and new pavement will make the new surface sensitive to high loads on tiny tires....

Expect some things to change/improve over time...

NJ PP thoughts only, CA probably uses something more sensitive and expensive... :)

Best regards,

-a-

That would make sense, if they didn’t let anyone park there.  As it is, the only people who can park on the pavement are those with twins or much heavier aircraft.

• Like 1

From a post over on POA and the pictures they have left the dirt area there on purpose for light GA aircraft. I suppose you could possibly shut down at the edge and push it onto the dirt, then pull it off before starting up, assuming the dirt is level with the ramp. It will be interesting to see how it does next Jan-Mar when we normally get our rains. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so it looks like late June, early July works for most folks? Works for me! That would be the weekends of either June 15, 22, 29, July 6 or 13th. Any preferences for advanced planning purposes? 

I think the 29th, 6th, or 13th work for me. The 15th and 22nd I will be on our cross country adventure back to NC/VA.

Just an FYI, my hangar neighbor flies to Catalina all the time so he told me he would get the low down on the ramp/dirt parking situation. He flew there Monday and I ran into him at the airport on Tuesday. They told him that Mon-Thur it is first come first served and if there is room on the ramp you can park there. However, Fri-Sun and holidays if you are flying a single you are parking in the dirt, regardless of if there is room on the ramp or not.

• Like 1

July 6 or June 29th work for me as well. And dirt it is! Thanks for the update @Skates97. I think that's the way it was before, but it had some low weeds on the previous dirt parking and chock rocks.

Here's our updated entries. Just post the days you can make. I've been craving a $100 Catalina Buffalo Burger for a while now.

• June 15 - 0
  • June 22 - 0
  • June 29 - 2
  • July 6 - 3
  • July 13 - 1
Edited by JohnB