Removable back seats - what years

gsxrpilot

My 1987 K has the removable rear bucket seats. The seat bottoms are just cushions that velcro in, and the seat backs just slide over the seat back frame. I believe these seats are common to all Mooneys for a specific range of years of the mid-body models.

I have two questions. What year models included this type of rear seats? And does anyone in the Austin/Houston area have a seat cushion and seat back cushion I could borrow for a day?

My 1987 K has the removable rear bucket seats. The seat bottoms are just cushions that velcro in, and the seat backs just slide over the seat back frame. I believe these seats are common to all Mooneys for a specific range of years of the mid-body models.
I have two questions. What year models included this type of rear seats? And does anyone in the Austin/Houston area have a seat cushion and seat back cushion I could borrow for a day?
I have it on my 83 ( dec 83, so I thought it had the split seats due to it having the 84 changes, but looks like Don has them in his 82 as well.

I am happy to lend you the seat(s) for the day, I'm in New Braunfels (KBAZ).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I would like to use a seat for this coming Sunday. @Bryan hopefully your plane is done by the weekend and you're flying it home. 

We're planning to go to Houston on Sunday to see some friends and my wife has told me they're hoping I'll give them a ride in the Mooney. But my back seats are in Denver. If the weather looks good towards the end of the week, I'll reach out and swing by BAZ.  Thanks @JRam and @Bryan.

• Like 1

Seriously, go by and grab one/both - use at as an excuse to check up on the install for me. I have a biz trip to Boston next Monday-Thurs so unless he has jumped way ahead of schedule (as avionics shops tend to do), I shouldn’t need it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

Seriously, go by and grab one/both - use at as an excuse to check up on the install for me. I have a biz trip to Boston next Monday-Thurs so unless he has jumped way ahead of schedule (as avionics shops tend to do), I shouldn’t need it.

I will. Thanks!

The back seats in my 1970 C model recline individually (from the factory!), and are sort of easy to remove. They are, however, a stone cold b!tch to reinstall, which will make you sweat like a whore in church while simultaneously enlarging your vocabulary and diminishing the blood supply in your extremities. I'm not takin them thangs out again unless and until I completely redo the interior! 

20190430_200715.thumb.jpg.0f7ea7e7de752db26c45b192da0b5e00.jpg

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled discussion . . . . Just had to stick up for my fellow Vintage owners, reclining back seats aren't exactly new.  

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I always thought they arrived on the 82 models, but my salvage J is technically an 81 and it has them. S/N 24-1221 which was pretty late in the run... I think it was one of the first J's to get them. I've seen J ads for sale in the 24-121x range that don't have them.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk