What Is This?

42 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

That hose is older than dirt...I would replace it. I bet it breaks apart when you remove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is very old but in surprisingly good shape. The one on the pilot side is toast. Both will be replaced soon.

An additional function of a lot of metal pieces placed around under the panel by Mooney engineering is to maximize the number of very sharp edges to maximize the blood shed  from people trying to trace wires and cables and hoses and crap.

I swear there's some really stupid stuff down there that makes you think somebody did it intentionally, or at a minimum couldn't be bothered to consider that anybody would ever have to reach under there for anything.   I've learned to keep a file handy just to improve and lighten and the airframe under there just for my own health and to minimize the blood stains on the carpet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

An additional function of a lot of metal pieces placed around under the panel by Mooney engineering is to maximize the number of very sharp edges to maximize the blood shed  from people trying to trace wires and cables and hoses and crap.

I swear there's some really stupid stuff down there that makes you think somebody did it intentionally, or at a minimum couldn't be bothered to consider that anybody would ever have to reach under there for anything.   I've learned to keep a file handy just to improve and lighten and the airframe under there just for my own health and to minimize the blood stains on the carpet.

LOL.  It is very sharp at the corners and edges. I am amazed that the factory installed such a sturdy piece of metal to mount a flimsy piece of plastic.   Maybe they originally had plans for a heavier footwell.  

Does this strip of aluminum serve any purpose other than to fasten a side panel?  My side panels were not screwed into it. 
2B0EF767-EF14-4A07-B73A-A9AAE4B44169.thumb.jpeg.c664e35add3e58cea214dd6c6e3a3573.jpeg

It was what rwsavory says it is. It is for attaching the lower plastic. You can see the screw holes in the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

It was what rwsavory says it is. It is for attaching the lower plastic. You can see the screw holes in the picture.

There are obvious signs of wandering screws that scratched the plate around those two holes during past interior installs.   The plate is oversized- it could be made smaller and sharper.  :(

3 hours ago, Fred₂O said:

The plate is oversized- it could be made smaller and sharper.  :(

Currently there are two corners that can easily get ya, cut the center section out so you would have two separate plates doubling you chances of leaving a little DNA :D

• Haha 1

There are obvious signs of wandering screws that scratched the plate around those two holes during past interior installs.   The plate is oversized- it could be made smaller and sharper. 

There is about an inch of wandering when these are panels are reinstalled. I believe they have made them larger because they were trying to protect wiring that may run behind them.

Here is the wandering zoomed in.

ca51aaa296c92bf7813a47f90ac3c418.jpg

aced37be56d6aa07c2156561e7042c60.jpg

Wiring running behind it.

9233581e59f7fb66faee374e6c702919.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1