Garmin-izing my ride

RobertGary1

Not taking about my Mooney which had been on the schedule for a new panel in November 2019 since janurary but my boat. 

They have some cool stuff both in panel and ram mounted that they never did. Upgrading my sonar and it’s amazing how it can show so much detail of the floor below you. And it’s all about 1/4 the cost of the aviation stuff. :)  

-Robert 

• Like 1

My buddy was sending me screen-shots of his fancy new marine Garmin. My first thought was, "wow this would be great for finding bodies". Its amazing new tech. The fish will have to partner with Harris or Lockheed to deploy new electronic countermeasures to fight these super fish finders.

here is cool clip I just found of its performance: 

I’m using Sirius marine weather on aera 510 for 1/5th the price per month.  In fact I haven’t upgraded my 520 to the 660 like I would otherwise since I don’t want to risk loosing my marine subscription as I’m guessing they would realize I have it in a plan if I try the trick on a 660.

I Garminized my road bike recently. I progressed from a 305 to 705 to the 1030.

My bike has a Shimano Di2 on it and the Garmin is able to read battery level and has a number of other features that can be programmed.

Ride from this afternoon. It is showing the position of my front and rear chain position. No more looking down.

8758382234f58e61194912c41a114705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I Garminized my road bike recently. I progressed from a 305 to 705 to the 1030.

My bike has a Shimano Di2 on it and the Garmin is able to read battery level and has a number of other features that can be programmed.

Ride from this afternoon. It is showing the position of my front and rear chain position. No more looking down.

8758382234f58e61194912c41a114705.jpg

Oh I’ll have to look into that. You wear a chest strap or a finger thing?? Maybe I should Garmin my bike  

-Robert 

Thats awesome, how does it tell you about the gears, my legs normally tell me what mine are doing, like my four hour 40 mile ride yesterday along the river lee valley (first 20 miles lovely, then i turned around and met Storm Hannah head on 35 knot gusts!). 
Looks like a good bit of kit.

I have a Di2 electronic shifting package on my Cannondale. It is able to read the position and report it through Bluetooth to the Garmin 1030. On late model Di2’s, you can even program the Shimano top button to do pre-programmed down or up shifts to pre-determined gear positions.

It also can provide gear statistics like the number of times I shifted on both the big and small cogs.

737346797ad8722d1b9f8d63659de134.jpg

If you have power meters on your pedals, it will provide your wattage during and average for a ride. Along with results for your VO2 and other health factors like time in heart zones.

Wow, thats seriously impressive.  I did a 40 mile ride yesterday on a canal track on an old Trek mtb bike that has ridden the equivalent of around the world twice, i used to ride it every day to and from work 22 miles each way.  Having power tracking pedals and stuff, i think would be extremely useful for Andrew so he can adjust the pedal on his working leg correctly and see hiw he can improve the power.  If you want some fun, unclip your left leg, remove it from the pedal and just pedal with the right leg, thats andrew2 on a bike.  Ive tried it and am in awe of him and how difficult it is.  

The technology has advanced ten fold over the past 5 years. I broke a cleat once and know the challenge of pedaling even a couple miles with one leg. I couldn’t imagine trying to ride any distance like that.

The integration with other apps has also improved. This allows me to transmit my workout performance to MyFitnessPal to give me a complete summary of my day and linking it up with Strava, I can see how I compare with others who have ridden the same route. I download it for the pure pleasure of seeing that I am in better shape than some guys 20 years younger. But on occasion, I will see data from an 75 year old who smoked my arse on the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

How do you get strava to stop flattening the battery, it annihilates my iphone.     

The Strava app on my Apple Watch 2 w/gps lasted about 3 hours, 45 minutes while streaming music to my Bluetooth headphones.  Sucks to have your tracker run out of battery right at the end of a marathon.  

I think the poster though was using a different gps watch and just uploading to strava, though

Battery power is a bit of a challenge...

iphone uses about 50% battery life over a 4.3 mile jog... about 35 minutes...  (iPhone 8) the gps chip set is a power hog...

Temp below 40°F, the phone needs to be kept warm or it will shut down... I would have thought all the power being used would have kept the phone warm enough...

Integration with a Fitbit or Iwatch to get HR is very useable...

Some instrumented shoes, like Nike+ are supposed to add stride length to the recording...

Would love to have %O2 to go with that...

I thought Strava was the name of Erik’s dog..?

follow-up question...

Since O2 sensors mistake CO rising for O2... making them not very useful at noticing CO poisoning....

Does the body start to increase breathing rate and/or HR as a response?

An increase in resting HR while flying could help in identifying or corroborate a CO monitor’s alarm...

What other sensors can we use or get?

Best regards,

-a-

770 calories in only 11 miles is impressive. Was this up hill?
-Robert 

Nope this was a speed run. I have some rides where I am climbing between 2,000 and 3,000 feet and others where I am riding the same distance but seeing less than a 1,000. The beauty of living in my area, go south and ride the flatlands or go north and ride the hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1