A1A on an M20C?

Hello all, I was wondering whether there are any issues with putting an 0-360 A1A on a C model. The type certificate lists both engines as options (an A1D and A1A). I know the original magnetos were different between the two, but were there any other differences? 

I have an A1D that needs an overhaul but could get a 900hr A1A for a reasonable price but not sure if i'd run into any issues. My A1D  had powerflow exhaust, which I'm assuming will still fit as the case is probably exactly the same? 

2 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Welcome aboard, glad you took my advice.  This forum is far better than Fb, trust me.  Just go and look at obal refit if you want to see the lovely people in this community you have joined.  

Obal refit? Is that a name or a thing? 

I have the A1A. It has Slick magnetos.  I don't know of any other differences between the two models.  Bendix magnetos are thought by some to be more durable.   If you're going to the trouble of removing an engine, overhauling your existing one and putting it back in it makes more sense labor/cost-wise than putting a 900 hour engine in its place.  

Why does your existing engine need an overhaul?

18 minutes ago, Rwsavory said:

I have the A1A. It has Slick magnetos.  I don't know of any other differences between the two models.  Bendix magnetos are thought by some to be more durable.   If you're going to the trouble of removing an engine, overhauling your existing one and putting it back in makes more sense labor/cost-wise than putting a 900 hour engine in its place.  

Why does your existing engine need an overhaul?

It may not need a full overhaul, but it does need a prop strike inspection (johnson bar came out on touchdown, there's a thread on here that describes a similar situation). And, since the plane has sat for two 5-7 year periods (dry climate, hangared) I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up being an overhaul. I did ferry it (~30minutes) from the site of the incident (with a permit) and there was nothing unusual in the way it ran during that flight. 

The engine is already removed, the only reason I was thinking about it was that my mechanic was actually interested in the A1D as an option to put in a pacer he's rebuilding. If it was a straight-across swap it may speed my project along, and between what I'd pay for the engine and what I'd get for the current one it could save a little $$. 

Most likely I'll just continue with the expected rebuild on the current one. 

• Like 1