Spring Cleaning my - Bravo

pkofman

Ok this might be a silly topic but its spring

and my plane is filthy!

What are your favorite products for cleaning your bird?

My aircraft has TKS and that stuff is messy and sticky, The underbelly of the plane is really nasty from a winter of flying

Any special tricks? Do's - Dont's??

I know I am not to use any solvents on the tks parts

Any tricks and or special things you do.

I really don't want to pay someone to do this so the first warm day I'm getting out a hose and going to work on this by myself

1 minute ago, Yetti said:

Goop  hand cleaner and or varasol which is the same as Mineral spirits for the oil grimey stuff.   

I always was concerned about using chemicals that might harm the paint and skin of the plane . also the tks guys are pretty clear that one should not use any solvent of any sort on the tks panels but i suppose soap and water cant hurt 

Pete

I use a very light amount of mineral spirits with the blue shop towels to clean oil off the belly and it works great.  This was recommended to me by an IA and I was skeptical at first that it would harm the paint but they said it wouldn’t.  I’m sure some have opposing views on this but looks good so far.

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

I use wash and wax all (blue) on the aircraft. Oil of orange (diluted from concentrate) to cut the grime on the belly. Old tks fluid to scribe the panels. 

I use blue Wash Wax all for the plane  and Red for the belly. Works great, and no need to wax when finished. 

• Like 5

I’d really like to find something that takes off the chalky, yellow exhaust stains that come from running LOP.  It’s been the same on both my Mooney’s over the years, and that stuff is really hard to get off.  One of the youtube aircraft detailing guys has some secret sauce that he says works very well.  Dunno what it is.

-de

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I use wash and wax all (blue) on the aircraft. Oil of orange (diluted from concentrate) to cut the grime on the belly. Old tks fluid to scribe the panels. 

+1 on the wash wax all, and their red formula works well on the belly with minimal agitation.  A little 100LL on a microfiber rag will clean up the tks panels, but I’ve found them to be mostly self-cleaning.  You do run the system at least monthly rear round, right?  

-de

5 minutes ago, exM20K said:

+1 on the wash wax all, and their red formula works well on the belly with minimal agitation.  A little 100LL on a microfiber rag will clean up the tks panels, but I’ve found them to be mostly self-cleaning.  You do run the system at least monthly rear round, right?  

-de

Yes, I do keep them primed all year long ( they seem to drain for a long time after running, mostly at the wing roots). I seem to run them just enough in the "non-icing" season to keep the plane nice and goopy and messy!!!

Pete

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

when you say all (blue) what product are you referring to?/  there is a reference to red as well?

Edited by pkofman
spelling

3 minutes ago, pkofman said:

when you say all (blue) what product are you referring to?/  there is a reference to red as well?

https://washwax.com/

its a bit spendy when I use it on the motor home, but the stuff works great, especially because my well water is very hard.  No water wash works for me.

Edited by exM20K
  • Like 1

Pkofman,

Read the warning label affixed to your wing and tail.  If you put the wrong fluid onto the TKS panels and it gets through the holes to the inside you will ruin the panel.  I use only soap and water or TKS fluid to clean the panels.  Spirits, Go Jo, etc  is OK for cleaning the belly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, peevee said:

TCE (the active ingredient) is a powerful degreaser. It’s also carcinogenic. There are safer alternatives since belly grunge doesn’t require a very powerful solvent. On the wash rack Simple Green works well as a degreaser when rinsed off with water. If not using water, deodorized paint thinner won’t harm the finish, cuts the grease, does’t stink and is inexpensive. (Varsol, mineral spirits and paint thinner are all chemically similar). Carbon-X from Spruce or Sporty’s is good for exhaust stains. 

Skip

On 4/26/2019 at 9:43 PM, pkofman said:

Ok this might be a silly topic but its spring

and my plane is filthy!

What are your favorite products for cleaning your bird?

My aircraft has TKS and that stuff is messy and sticky, The underbelly of the plane is really nasty from a winter of flying

Any special tricks? Do's - Dont's??

I know I am not to use any solvents on the tks parts

Any tricks and or special things you do.

I really don't want to pay someone to do this so the first warm day I'm getting out a hose and going to work on this by myself

According to CAV Aerospace, the best combination of things to clean your TKS panels is the fluid itself.  Use a blue ScotchBrite pad.  Don’t use the green ones...they’re too abrasive.

Run the system, and use the fluid coming from the panels as your cleaning solution.  It also allows you to see what panels are bleeding fluid and any that aren’t.  Work the pad along the chord line.  You’re guaranteed good results.

For the other parts of the aircraft...I’ve found the AeroCosmetics Products work very well.  All biodegradable and they have a solution for just about all parts of the aircraft...internally and externally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I use brake cleaner for the underbelly, then water, then macquirres.  Gets rid of all the grease and muck.  Its funny in that it looks like a huge task but is actually very easy to do.  Works those abs nicely. :)

Andrew

Scrub the belly three times? I prefer once with Wash Wax All.

• Like 2

Can I just use regular Meguiars or Chemical Guys brand car wash & wax solution? I’ve never actually washed my plane. The FBO’s have done it for me. I don’t have water available at the hangar so I’ll have to bring it in gallon jugs (I have a bunch of 5-gal potable water jugs).

Or maybe I can do this when it rains outside like the cheap used car dealers do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use blue Wash Wax all for the plane  and Red for the belly. Works great, and no need to wax when finished. 

Same here with the Wash Wax All (Blue) for the plane and (Red) for the belly. Great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk