KI-214 Replacement Options

David_H

I was testing the Glideslope indicator of the KI-214 this past weekend during some approaches and the GS never came alive. I took it to the local avionics shop and they said they were unable to do anything with it. The GS is being driven by a KX170B.

I'm working on my IFR ticket now and don't want to invest heavily in the panel right now. I am scheduled for an ADSB install in a few months and also considering a GNX375 install instead of only an ADSB transponder. However, that's a few months out and I would like to find a solution now so I can get back to my instrument training.

What are some good options?

• David_H changed the title to KI-214 Replacement Options

unfortunately there aren't many, I had the same issue.

there was a guy here that repaired mine : https://avionics-laf.com

it's not the installer but an older gentleman.

before having it repaired, I tried bennet.   Neither of the units they shipped worked.

eventually I just said the hell with it and added a gns480.

If I had it to do all over again, i'd buy a new radio and a md200-706 and be done with it.

2 minutes ago, kortopates said:

A Garmin indicator (GI-106a) that supports GPS and ILS signals will be compatible with your future GPS. They can be found used (IIRC
Approx $1600-1700)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately you can't use the gi-106a, the gs is built into the ki-214.  

• Like 1

unfortunately there aren't many, I had the same issue.
If I had it to do all over again, i'd buy a new radio and a md200-706 and be done with it.

If nothing modern is compatible, ditching the old radio for a modern one is much smarter long term.

2 minutes ago, kortopates said:

If nothing modern is compatible, ditching the old radio for a modern one is much smarter long term.

2 choices I didn't try.

1.  find a used narco

2.  add a glideslope receiver after which you can use a gi-106a.  gs receiver should be about 2 to 300 bucks but you still have to pay the install

12 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I certainly can't argue with the long term reasoning. That said, reasonable flying weather and my work schedule only leave a limited window during the next few months for me to make progress towards my IFR ticket.

Getting a slot in the avionics shop for any installs right now is also an issue due to all the scheduled ADSB work. :(

Dead Narco and dead BK equipment is getting more dead by the day...

Used equipment is a great idea... try to stay with the digital age... skip the tube radios... and mechanical tuners...

Do you want to see a list and pics of an MSer’s stash of used nav coms and accessories?

See what @Alan Fox has on the shelf for this... or see... 

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does that include wiring a future GTN650 with it...

Something doesn’t sound right...  

you are just adding an updated VOR/ILS display for your KX170, right?

Check the details, sounds like you got a quote to wire something from nose to tail... including removing interior for access to antennae...

PP thoughts only, not an instrument tech...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Check the details, sounds like you got a quote to wire something from nose to tail... including removing interior for access to antennae...

30hrs was solely for the labor time to install the KN-75. It would need to be located in the tail.

I'm just trying to get a working GS indicator solution to replace the KN-214 that is in the panel.

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Does that include wiring a future GTN650 with it...

Something doesn’t sound right...  

PP thoughts only, not an instrument tech...

Best regards,

-a-

He's adding a KN75 glideslope receiver for Ki209 or such. this would require rewiring - new harness to KX170 and indicator. Normally, KN75 would be located at the back, on avionics shelf.

30h labor sounds somewhat to much to me, though. The easiest $olution would be to find working KI214.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

30h labor sounds somewhat to much to me, though. 

The 30hrs of labor seemed to be part of one of those "we don't really have time to do these kinds of jobs" conversation since there is a glut ADSB work at the moment.

The Avionics world seems to be in a unique place at the moment. It's almost like a Payday-Loan type of environment.:(

Edited by David_H
Grammar

where are you located, I remember jena and john of avionics unlimited ( Conroe, tx ) giving me a quote of Approx 2k for the install of a kn75.  it's all labor, i'm sure you can find someone to give you the part. 

to be honest, this is what caused me to upgrade to a gns480,  options are extremely limited.

actually, I HOPEFULLY can  put my bird in the avionics shop next week, IF I pass my IFR checkride.

when they redid my avionics, they failed to connect the glideslope to the gns480 and md200-706,  if the shop above can connect it cheaply enough I may be able to reinstall my ki-201 and sell the ki-214

I'm currently in Indiana.

It may be a better solution to move on to another radio. Finding a shop to do a radio install will likely be a chore as well. All anyone wants to talk about is a new $15-25K avionics panel upgrade. I'd just like to get an operational GS so I can get through an IFR checkride.

this is one situation where technology has just moved on. there just isn't any  currently manufactured indicator which can replace the ki-214.  

even the Narco-122d si going for premium.  

as everyone is currently very proud of their old beatup avionics,  it's probably better if you go with a new radio. problem is that means minium of 7k installed.

maybe 6 if you get the installer drunk with a hand job. jk.

so since you are in the same position I was in, my advice would be just bite the bullet buy new equip and enjoy.  I spent almost as much money trying to be cheap

20 hours ago, David_H said:

I'm currently in Indiana.

It may be a better solution to move on to another radio. Finding a shop to do a radio install will likely be a chore as well. All anyone wants to talk about is a new $15-25K avionics panel upgrade. I'd just like to get an operational GS so I can get through an IFR checkride.

I thought someone mentioned this guy:

http://www.kx170b.com/

He repaired G/S on my KI214 and calibrated it years ago and seems that's he's still repairing units... from June to September? You might want to make sure its KI214 having a problem and not KX170B...

Good luck.

Edited by Igor_U

5 hours ago, Igor_U said:

I thought someone mentioned this guy:

http://www.kx170b.com/

He repaired G/S on my KI214 and calibrated it years ago and seems that's he's still repairing units... from June to September? You might want to make sure its KI214 having a problem and not KX170B...

Good luck.

I doesn't like as if he works on KI-214's any longer. The wording from his website is below:

960395607_ScreenShot2019-05-22at11_51_42PM.thumb.png.d0d193042371a041b05ada0e6ba4df77.png

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of an A&P anywhere around Indiana that would be willing to supervise the installation of a KN75 GS receiver? I've spoke with a few AI's and the best I've been able to get was either they don't want to mess with Avionics... or they simply want to slow down so they can retire.

The Avionics shops I've spoke with only want to discuss new installations. However, they can't get to any installations now anyway... so there's that as well. Would a new radio be nice... absolutely. Is it necessary... No.

AC43.13-2B seems to imply that an installation could be viewed as a minor alteration. A KN-75 shows to be a hefty 1.5lbs.

Perhaps there's also the possibility to install an external GS receiver under FAR 43.3 Appendix A(31)? I'm uncertain of this though.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm running out of ideas and the summer is burning away quickly.

4 hours ago, Flocki said:

Somehow I completely missed this thread.

I have a used KI-214 left from the radio replacement. Working when removed.

PN me, if you are interested.

I'm sure there are some that have imported avionics from Europe. However, that might be more trouble than the indicator is worth. I do appreciate the offer though.