Bravo CHT Temps / Injectors

Davidv

The past few flights my #5 cylinder temps have been 15-25 degrees hotter than the rest (others around 375-380 with #5 399-403).  I typically try to keep temps under 375.  I’m going to call my mechanic tomorrow to speak with him about the issue but wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar.

the engine has less than 200 hours smoh so I was wondering if it could be a fuel distribution issue.  Has anyone swapped out their injectors or aware of any specific issues that would cause this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Can you post the JPI data to Savvy, and send the link here?

Continental IO550s have this challenge, because  the alternator blocks some air flow to the #5 cylinder (up front)...

Lycoming #5 is in the back... (reverse numbering)

Some hangar elves have improved the airflow for many IO550s...

Sounds like some silicone baffling may have gotten folded up...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Thanks @carusoam.  Unfortunately, my JPI is one of the few that were made before they were able to record data.  I tried to download it a few weeks ago and called JPI.  It’s time for an 830 or 900 but for now no logging unfortunately.  I’ll look into the other things you mentioned.

• Like 1

David,

MS has a silicone baffling and hose guy...

He might have some good pics of how the baffles for the TIO540 should look...  and some good insight on recognizing when the baffles have aged a bit too far...

Now to find that MSer...

@GEE-BEE got any pics of silicone baffles for a Bravo’s TSIO540?  Thought you may have done one of these recently...

Best regards,

-a-

Remove the cowls and do the obvious inspection for loose/missing baffles, check for an exhaust leak (you need to fix this if you have one, but if it is blowing onto the head then will raise the CHT significantly), and check the wiring of the CHT and EGT probes. Whilst you've got it opened up, would make sense to check the injector, line and the air tube (Don't forget you need an A&P for that due to AD 2008-14-07)  If that's all good, go do a GAMI lean test, and if that's all good then you'll probably want to get a boroscope in and start looking at the exhaust valve sealing. Good luck! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davidv said:

The past few flights my #5 cylinder temps have been 15-25 degrees hotter than the rest (others around 375-380 with #5 399-403).  I typically try to keep temps under 375.  I’m going to call my mechanic tomorrow to speak with him about the issue but wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar.

the engine has less than 200 hours smoh so I was wondering if it could be a fuel distribution issue.  Has anyone swapped out their injectors or aware of any specific issues that would cause this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I thought your cht’s were in the ballpark. This Bravo has 1100 hrs. Since zero timed. Last engine went to TBO.

I've got gami’s that probably should be rebalanced but the attachment shows how close the  egt’s are having just reached peak and on the way back to 100 rop. 

Generally my no.4 is the hottest at cruise also has the highest egt by a small amount.

Second attachment is cruise. 

Second shot if I can at74034A52-1D3A-49A8-83CF-C47DCFF2B00F.thumb.jpeg.412c74230ee0e43f756b954f9cb73f1a.jpeg

6669AB42-4AA1-4B86-A566-FC8D5A5A8CCB.jpeg

Edited by Steve Skinner

Interesting data presentation Steve!
What software/engine monitor generated that?
Best regards,
-a-

Morning,
This data is in the pilots log of Garmin Pilot when you have a G500TXI with EIS and a Fs510.
It logs every flight for logbook purposes including route alt and engine data.
Also have a permanent IPad mini set up on co-pilot side that depicts the eis data page on the txi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 4/25/2019 at 9:28 PM, carusoam said:

David,

MS has a silicone baffling and hose guy...

He might have some good pics of how the baffles for the TSIO540 should look...  and some good insight on recognizing when the baffles have aged a bit too far...

Now to find that MSer...

@GEE-BEE got any pics of silicone baffles for a Bravo’s TSIO540?  Thought you may have done one of these recently...

Best regards,

-a-

Lycoming TIO540 in the Bravo or at least in mine.

• Like 1