Inspecting nose gear assembly for damage

Within a few days of getting my airplane it had put me on my butt enough that I put the tow bar in the shop vise for a few seconds and bent it as shown.   It has never slipped since.   Same idea as shown in previous posts.   As long as the force vector doesn't have a component pulling it out, it shouldn't come out, and if the vector has a slight bias to pulling it into the hole, it'll stay in.   That's what the slight acute angle does.

I did not make a log book entry for the minor mod to the tow bar.   I did not file a 337.

20170923_200042.jpg

Edited by EricJ
Added reason for editing.
  • Like 2

I bent mine several times over the years before I gave up and just bought my final solution - a Bogert bar. By design it’s impossible to slip off and much lighter and compact to boot.

After bending my OEM tow bar repeatedly it lasted less and less time before straightening back out - it was getting softer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hank said:

With a helper, just push the rudder thw direction you want the plane to go. 

Tom Rouch (Top Gun Aviation) showed me this 25 years ago -- grab the rudder control horn like a handle and easily steer the airplane while someone else pushes it back.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 2:10 AM, M20F-1968 said:

I am making from PVC a pipe with a plug on one with a "Do Not Tow" banner and a small lock on the other.  When put into the nose gear the plane cannot be towed.

As for the tow bar, I bought an Ovation tow bar.  They are twice as long, easier to pull and probably easier to push and fold in the middle.  They come with a fuel

cup to check for water.  From the factory the cup is not firmly attached and usually comes off, but with some ingenuity I was able to fix that.  There is a sliding extension

that goes completely through the nose gear tube and I put a lynch pin on the end so the bar stays in the nose gear when being used.  I can send some pictures when I get to the hangar.

John Breda

John,

Check the detail on the O’tow bar...

there should be a collapsible extension that fits inside the nose gear...

When extended... there is a hole to allow for a lock.  A cool way to lock a hand tow bar for the plane....   probably still need a sign... hand tow only!

the extension is held in the tow bar with a roto-clip type spring and is susceptible to rust... 

Broken roto-clip Leeds to a missing extension....

Now I need to go find my extension and get it a new roto-clip....

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Check the detail on the O’tow bar...

there should be a collapsible extension that fits inside the nose gear...

When extended... there is a hole to allow for a lock.  A cool way to lock a hand tow bar for the plane....   probably still need a sign... hand tow only!

The problem with leaving a tow bar attached is that I use a York gust lock when I park the outside on trips.  The picture of the one attached is for a Piper.  The Mooney one is very similar but the hooks attach to the rudder vertical tubing so the hooks are horizontal, 90 degrees from what is pictured.   In any case, the rudder pedals are locked as are the ailerons and rudder.  I do not want anyone attempting to tow the plane when it is locked like this.  Provided the plane is left alone, the gust lock works well.

FYI:  This Piper version is for sale if anyone knows a Piper owner who needs a gust lock.

York Gust Lock Piper.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PT20J said:

Redline Aviation $210. (Price on the website is wrong -- call if you want to order). Extends to 61.5", same nose truss friction lock as sidewinder.

mooney-ulxl.png.ac1515a5d1c890b51061dfcfc83c38cf.png

$210!  Holy crap!

This one isn't quite as long but is less than 1/3 the price and works great.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/deluxe_towbars2.php

• 3 weeks later...

Very informative thread!  I ran my towbaragainst the stop yesterday and needed to know what to inspect.  Got home last night and this thread appeared and had exactly the info I needed.  Everything is okay and I flew it again this morning.

Thanks guys!