GTN 750 + GTX 345 or GTN 750 + GNX 375?

BrettKS

I have an M20C with a GTN 750 installed linked to a Garmin Mode C transponder. I need to do an ADS-B update and the quoted costs were around $6000 to add the GTX 345 ADS-B in/out transponder and around $9000 if instead of the GTX I were to add the GNX 375 IFR GPS with ADS-B transponder. I guess the GNX setup would offer some GPS/map redundancy, but is it worth the extra $3k?

6 minutes ago, BrettKS said:

I have an M20C with a GTN 750 installed linked to a Garmin Mode C transponder. I need to do an ADS-B update and the quoted costs were around $6000 to add the GTX 345 ADS-B in/out transponder and around $9000 if instead of the GTX I were to add the GNX 375 IFR GPS with ADS-B transponder. I guess the GNX setup would offer some GPS/map redundancy, but is it worth the extra $3k?

I plan on doing gnx375. That way i can have a dedicated traffic screen, and a map with weather on the 750, and a third map with terrain on g3x. Dont forget the backup gps which is also nice.

I don’t think the GTN will cross fill the GNX.  If you don’t mind entering your flight plan on both devices and keeping them in sync, manually, it might not be a bad thing.

With the 345, you can stream GPS and traffic data to your iPad, for the second screen. Take it one step further and get a FlightStream 510 for your GTN and have full flight plan transfer to and from your GTN and get your ADSB data over the same connection. Another big benefit that doesn’t seem that big of a deal until you have it is database Concierge. This allows you to keep your databases in sync without every really doing anything. When enabled, your databases will auto download to your mobile device and auto update to your GTN.

• Like 2

Personally, I’d just do the 345.  Remote version is a nice touch to keep the panel clean.  You probably have ~3 or 4 gps in your airplane every time you fly already.  Yes, only 1 is certified for approaches, but if that fails, my phone, ipad, and sentry ADSB will all get me where I need to go.  As far as approaches, there are plenty of ils out there to count on as a backup.

• Like 1

Check with your avionics shop on the capabilities first.

Do you have a FlightStream 510 in your GTN? If you do, this might be an OK solution as you could connect to the FS510 with your portable device and still send flight plans to the 750.

If you do not have a FlightStream and you are going to use the built-in capabilities of the 375, your flight plan will be on the 375 ONLY and it will not cross-fill to the GTN. Personally, I would find it super annoying to have to do that manually after spending all that money.

Also, what will you display on the 375? Its screen is tiny compared to the 750. It's smaller than a 650.

I'm not sure how much value you'll really get from it. IMO, the 375 is ideal for a person who does not have a WAAS GPS and does not have an ADS-B solution, especially those that may have a King or Apollo/UPSAT (GX series) unit in their panel, or some of the really old Garmins, as the 375 will fit right in the spot in the panel left by one of those devices.

IMO, do the GTX345, either remote or panel mount. And get a FlightStream 510 for your GTN if you don't already have one.

Just now, BrettKS said:

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I think I'm going with the GTX345 and eventually will get the Flight Stream 510.

And as some recommended above, the remote 345 will save you panel space in your C and is controlled from the GTN 750.

8 minutes ago, flyingcheesehead said:

I'm not sure how much value you'll really get from it. IMO, the 375 is ideal for a person who does not have a WAAS GPS and does not have an ADS-B solution, especially those that may have a King or Apollo/UPSAT (GX series) unit in their panel, or some of the really old Garmins, as the 375 will fit right in the spot in the panel left by one of those devices. 

This is exactly my situation and why we're going with the 375.  You nailed it, flyingcheesehead.  But in your case, the 345 option seems like a great path. 

11 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

And as some recommended above, the remote 345 will save you panel space in your C and is controlled from the GTN 750.

If he (or anyone) does the remote 345 (great space-saver), I would most definitly get the FS510. Besides the benefits listed above, there have been a few stories of the remote transponder's bluetooth not being able to make it thru the avionics bay's metal well enought for pairing = no iPad connectivity.  With the FS, the card is super simple to install and puts the Bluetooth signal where you need it most: the cockpit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrettKS said:

If you can wait till Oshkosh you will find that Garmin will expand the 375 and that may be more attractive than the 345.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

If he (or anyone) does the remote 345 (great space-saver), I would most definitly get the FS510. Besides the benefits listed above, there have been a few stories of the remote transponder's bluetooth not being able to make it thru the avionics bay's metal well enought for pairing = no iPad connectivity.  With the FS, the card is super simple to install and puts the Bluetooth signal where you need it most: the cockpit.

This - And it's not even the wall, it's just the distance. Bluetooth is not a LAN (Local Area Network), it's a PAN (Personal Area Network). My flying club put a GTX 345R in the tail of our Diamond, hooked up to the G1000, and the connection was pretty unreliable even with no metal in between.

1 hour ago, m20kmooney said:

As Bryan said flt plan crossfill wirh GTN will be added. Also I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave it comm capability although that’s probably a long shot. 

Crossfill, I would expect at some point. Comm? I suppose, since it seems fairly obvious that they're looking to get people to replace KLN and GX series units and the GX60 and GX65 did have com capability that is a possibility. I'm not sure what the installed base of GX6xs is though, it might be a small market.

One of the things I always wanted was a GPS/Nav/Com that could physically take the place of a KLN and a KX155. Oodles of airplanes out there had KLNs and dual KX155s... But nobody has ever made a GPS/Nav/Com with a height of 4.1". So, I tore the whole mess apart and put in a GTN 750 instead.

10 hours ago, flyingcheesehead said:

Crossfill, I would expect at some point. Comm? I suppose, since it seems fairly obvious that they're looking to get people to replace KLN and GX series units and the GX60 and GX65 did have com capability that is a possibility. I'm not sure what the installed base of GX6xs is though, it might be a small market.

One of the things I always wanted was a GPS/Nav/Com that could physically take the place of a KLN and a KX155. Oodles of airplanes out there had KLNs and dual KX155s... But nobody has ever made a GPS/Nav/Com with a height of 4.1". So, I tore the whole mess apart and put in a GTN 750 instead.

I would just take a slide-in replacement for the KX155 that does COM  (VOR and GPS) would be nice but really just want to replace my displays.

• Like 1

Both look like nice options. The shop is only charging an extra $400 (labor) for the 375 which requires another waas antenna installed and integration with a nav head and the 750. A lot of extra work for a few dollars. I’d have him sharpen the pencil for the 345 or go with the 375 at that price. 

I do have to say the 175/375 would be very attractive if they added a comm unit. A perfect backup to a 650/750. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BrettKS said:

The $6000 installed for the GTX345 is a very fair price. But for the deal they are giving you I would go with the GNX375. To have an extra certified WAAS GPS for that difference is worth it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, c177tx said:

They already have that, it is called a GTN635 GPS/COMM

Kind of... But the 635 is physically larger so will require more rework of the panel when replacing a KLN, GX, etc GPS. And it isn't available with a built-in ADS-B transponder.

One could have said, regarding the 175, that "they already have that - It is called a GTN 625." 

IMO, there is a place for a 175/375 with a built-in comm. As I mentioned previously, the GX60 and GX65 specifically were 2" GPS/COMs and would benefit from a 175/375+com replacement.

Also, if there's a 175+com available by the next time I do an upgrade, and it's reasonably priced, it might make a good replacement for our KX165 that's currently nav/com 2... Especially if a G3X Touch would allow us to use both the Nav and GPS functions of the GTN 750 at the same time.

The 175 with com would be 4K cheaper than the 635. It could be available direct bypassing the Garmin dealer install. Doesn’t make sense to me but Garmin certified the g3x which totally undercut the txi. It would be a hot seller...something the 635 never was. 

• Like 1