Sweaty backs

dcrogers11

Altitude works very well . . . . 6000' and higher. It's not uncommon to need cabin heat at 9500 msl even when temps are approaching 100°Fon the ground (and higher on the runway & ramp).

Not much helps while taxiing or waiting to depart. Some use coolers with fans blowing over ice, but I often don't have space for the cooler and the ice would be gone before landing.

As summer approaches, I'm looking for best option for keeping my back and rear cool and protecting my leather seats at the same time.  What have y'all had luck with?
Thanks,
Don

Sheepskin baby! Sheepskin. I had my seats redone in leather 3 years ago after years of being cloth. Leather seats are just hot in the summer. I added sheepskin covers and it has been a world of difference. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Take a look in any airline cockpit and you’ll see sheepskin in most of them. Good enough for the pros, good enough for me!

dbab2574ae142555314056d7b2efc2b5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sheepskin baby! Sheepskin. I had my seats redone in leather 3 years ago after years of being cloth. Leather seats are just hot in the summer. I added sheepskin covers and it has been a world of difference. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Did you have them custom made or were you able to find a close match to a vehicle seats?

Tom

Did you have them custom made or were you able to find a close match to a vehicle seats?

Tom

I used these guys: https://www.aerosheep.com

They will provide multiple swatches of available colors. Quality is exceptional and in my case they modified it a bit to allow the top second pouch to be entered through a slot in the sheepskin.

64529313419c48046e08ca53fa46df60.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• Sheep’s skins
  • portable ice cooler/AC units
  • Altitude
  • added eyeball vents...
  • extra window in a window (co-pilot side)
  • Pre- flight in the hangar, start and taxi quickly to the run-up, no waiting...
  • Northern latitudes 
  • Mooney Ultra with A/C complete with Transition Training

Did I miss the budget statement?

Best regards,

-a-

Wool generally makes me itch, how are these on bare skin?

Tom

They are not like wool at all. Very soft. I would order up the swatches. They are large enough that you can rub them on your skin and see for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 hours ago, carusoam said:
  • Pre- flight in the hangar, start and taxi quickly to the run-up, no waiting...
  • Northern latiudes

These two work together; doing the first without the second in summer is a personal sauna. May be different for those with hangar homes and / or well-insulated hangars, but I'm used to them being steel-framed sweat boxes . . . .

• Like 1

Sheepskin. Aerosheep. I tried some cheap car seat cover first. It helped a little with the swamp ass. Bit the bullet and went with Aerosheep and realized that I should've done it 7 years ago. 

You spend a lot of time in those seats. If the price bothers you, try and thing of it in terms of cost per hour for comfort. 

• Like 1