Almost did something stupid...

FloridaMan

Took the m20f up to exercise it yesterday before doing an oil change. As I’m rolling down the runway to take off, I caught myself with my hand on the Johnson bar with my thumb on the button. Something didn’t seem quite right and I realized I was still rolling and hadn’t taken off yet. 

I’ve heard there was a member here who witnessed someone pulling their gear up on the ground after landing so thought I’d share this. 

When I pull my flaps up in any aircraft after landing, I make sure to call out “flaps” and “identified” as I’ve heard of similar gear up incidents related to grabbing the wrong switch (especially in old Bonanzas). From now on, I am going to make a call to identify that I’m securely in the air prior to touching my Johnson. It might be worthwhile for others to consider this as part of their takeoff call outs. 

My others are (turning onto the runway): trim, flaps, fuel selector; fuel pump (on the F), switches, radios; mixture, prop, throttle. Then, on the roll, verify airspeed and “instruments in the green” 

I don’t set takeoff flaps until after run-up and I box the controls when I set flaps. The redundant flap check on the turn onto the runway ensures that I didn’t miss the run-up portion of the checklist due to distractions or nonstandard taxi instructions. 

• Like 1

For me looking down to see the ground rushing away is a pretty big sign that I'm gaining altitude. Not too big on looking at anything but the airspeed indicator when I'm that low on altitude and energy.

Edited by steingar

5 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

When I pull my flaps up in any aircraft after landing, I make sure to call out “flaps” and “identified” as I’ve heard of similar gear up incidents related to grabbing the wrong switch (especially in old Bonanzas). From now on, I am going to make a call to identify that I’m securely in the air prior to touching my Johnson. It might be worthwhile for others to consider this as part of their takeoff call outs. 

These sorts of discussions never get old! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great pirep, FM.  

The human brain is capable of amazing things... and some quirky shortcomings too.

Once the airspeed is alive... I like to add MP, RPM and FF in there....

These three amigos let you know the power is flowing at full force, or not.

If you have done your homework regarding DA and runway length... things are still going to plan... Plan A.

PP thoughts only,  not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

Took the m20f up to exercise it yesterday before doing an oil change. As I’m rolling down the runway to take off, I caught myself with my hand on the Johnson bar with my thumb on the button. Something didn’t seem quite right and I realized I was still rolling and hadn’t taken off yet. 

I’ve heard there was a member here who witnessed someone pulling their gear up on the ground after landing so thought I’d share this. 

My others are (turning onto the runway): trim, flaps, fuel selector; fuel pump (on the F), switches, radios; mixture, prop, throttle. Then, on the roll, verify airspeed and “instruments in the green” 

I don’t set takeoff flaps until after run-up and I box the controls when I set flaps. The redundant flap check on the turn onto the runway ensures that I didn’t miss the run-up portion of the checklist due to distractions or nonstandard taxi instructions. 

Even F-22 pilots have raised the gear before actually getting airborne... 

Nobody looks cool skidding down the runway with their gear tucked safely up in the wells.....

BF73B878-CDB1-4DD8-942A-54C00547E3C5.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M016576 said:

Nobody looks cool skidding down the runway with their gear tucked safely up in the wells.....

That would sure limit career advancement.

Clarence

4 hours ago, M016576 said:

People look very uncool doing that on landing. Doing so on takeoff would be super uncool! At least he has afterburners to help clear the runway . . .  :(  And it sure looks like a career-limiting move in these days of reduced numbers.

5 hours ago, M016576 said:

Well - at least there's no prop strike.  :-(

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, M016576 said:

Yeah I bet he passes through 90IAS pretty quick so moving the Johnson bar in the F22 has to be a beast if you don't get the gear up quick.:o:D

Nah they will promote him to full colonel that way he won't be flying and wont hurt any more planes.:ph34r:  Sad to see and unfortunately it can happen to any of us.

23 hours ago, steingar said:

Hasn't been an issue for me.  Moving the bar is such a deliberate action, I haven't been tempted to do it early.

Always was the case with me previously. Somehow after 7 years and maybe 1200 hours in that same plane, some optimization of muscle memory tried to play a trick on me. I try to design my scans to check against other scans. I’ve yet to bend metal (knock on wood), because redundancy has saved me. 

2 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

Always was the case with me previously. Somehow after 7 years and maybe 1200 hours in that same plane, some optimization of muscle memory tried to play a trick on me. I try to design my scans to check against other scans. I’ve yet to bend metal (knock on wood), because redundancy has saved me. 

Maybe being a total klutz is an advantage.  I don't think I've any muscle memory at all.  I have just never thought to swing the bar before I have positive rate, again usually detected by looking out the window.  Then again, I am pretty fresh to the Mooney world, so time will tell.

Edited by steingar