Century 41 heading hold inop

redars

Suggestion...

What works and what doesn’t work?

An autopilot has so many parts to diagnose, it helps to start with a list of what is working and what is not working...

If everything is working including the mechanical parts of the heading bug... that would indicate a more narrow challenge... 

As simple as a wire needs to be checked/re-secured...

does it hold a gps or vor course?

AP challenges are the most complex... and expensive because of the complexity...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Don’t spend any money on your HSI or AP. Unless it’s a cheap fix, I would just upgrade to one of the modern ones. They don’t even make parts for the NSD 360 anymore.

Tom

+1 on not spending any money on the NSD360.  My avionics guy said it is a difficult instrument to work on since so many mechanical components are jammed in a small space, and as Art mentioned, some parts are no longer available.

Interesting to see the failure rate of the “autopilot system” before removing the mechanical AI, HSI with how it looks in the logs after the G500 installation.   About 1/3 the log entry frequency in the 1100 hours post-G500.

The pitch servo is the remaining Achilles heel of the KFC225: It takes an arrow every 400 hours.  

This relates to the original post as now that the only remaining mechanical moving parts are the servos autopilot troubleshooting has become simpler.  

• Like 1

Assuming it’s the Instrument, Remove the HSI and replace with G5/GAD29B/GMU11.

Fixed and upgraded with GPSS.  

Edit- you also now have a backup AH with this solution. 

Edited by 81X
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, 81X said:

Assuming it’s the Instrument, Remove the HSI and replace with G5/GAD29B/GMU11.

Fixed and upgraded with GPSS.  

Edit- you also now have a backup AH with this solution. 

yes you can replace he HSI with the G5 package....

But NO you cannot replace the AI with the G5, it doesn't have the ability to send the Analog signals

yes you can replace he HSI with the G5 package....
But NO you cannot replace the AI with the G5, it doesn't have the ability to send the Analog signals

Internet rumour at PoA (or was it at BT?) that the G5 will be able to send AI data to the vintage Century boxes very soon. I’m still crossing my fingers for the AeroVonics AV-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk