Pre start electric fuel pump pressure indication on carbureted lycoming

I run my pump until fuel pressure stabilizes, then turn it off, and push mixture to Full Rich. Fuel Pressure is right at the top of the green arc. Each time I pump the throttle, pressure goes down some. Then I crank up. Never noticed fuel pressure while idling, but it's usually around 2psi in flight, but can vary as high as 5 or as low as 0.5. Still runs good regardless. 

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:

Hmmmm. While taxiing, my pressure exceeds the red line sightly with both pumps operating.

Mine does the same during taxi.   Often times when I throttle back as in a descent it goes above 6.0 psi to something like 6.7 to 7.0.  Never more than about 7 psi.  The electric fuel pump switched on as per the before landing checklist has no effect.  I just clear the EDM900 alarm so I can focus on landing. Annoying. It seems like if the company could relax that redline it would be a benefit for those of us with contemporary engine monitors.    When it was a tiny little gauge over by the co-pilot's left knee, a slight 1 psi overpressure wasn't a distraction like it is now.  <_<

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:

Hmmmm. While taxiing, my pressure exceeds the red line sightly with both pumps operating.

2 minutes ago, Fred₂O said:

Mine does the same during taxi.   Often times when I throttle back as in a descent it goes above 6.0 psi to something like 6.7 to 7.0.  Never more than about 7 psi.  The electric fuel pump switched on as per the before landing checklist has no effect.  I just clear the EDM900 alarm so I can focus on landing. Annoying. It seems like if the company could relax that redline it would be a benefit for those of us with contemporary engine monitors.    When it was a tiny little gauge over by the co-pilot's left knee, a slight 1 psi overpressure wasn't a distraction like it is now.  <_<

I think this may be a common if not universal issue with the normal certified psi range for fuel pressure on the C model.  I have the same "problem," which no A&P seems to think is important, so I ignore it now too.   The mandatory alerts that must be programmed into the certified JPI unit based on this parameter are indeed annoying, distracting, and potentially desensitizing to real alerts on the unit.  I also get the red flashing annunciation whenever I turn on boost pump for takeoff or landing.  

• Like 2

It would be interesting if somebody could update/modernize the spec or an alternate spec (to not Require everyone to need a JPI)...

Then have JPI program the device... to not alarm, unless the modern spec is surpassed...

a modern spec would probably include time with the scale of excursion....

It seems many of us get desensitizing alarms on the T/O roll no matter which engine/prop combination we have.

PP thoughts only,

-a-

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

It seems many of us get desensitizing alarms on the T/O roll no matter which engine/prop combination we have.

Yep.  I've gotten in the habit of punching the ignore button on the JPI EDM900 after advancing the throttle if the alarm is flashing red and I verify that it is the f.p.

• Like 2

I've never noticed the fuel pressure in my takeoff roll. Then again, that little needle is a ways off, and the numbers are barely visible in the left side of the gauge. Took a while last night finding a panel shot with the numbers visible, most just show the needle pointing anywhere from 7:00-9:00.

Thank you for all the input... I should probably mention that we haven’t serviced the pump screen yet- it was further down on the list. So I’ve got to do that prior to passing judgment on the pump.

just found this thread regarding the filter screen that I might have in there: Dukes secret screen

Edited by PilotCoyote