Time between 3rd class cert and submission?

About how long will I wait to get my 3rd class medical certificate from the time my AME submits my application?

I'll register with MedExpress before exam.

Anything else I need to do?

Any gotchas?

Last medical was 1983 so BasicMed is out.

Is this a taboo subject?

2 minutes ago, Runway37 said:

About how long will I wait to get my 3rd class medical certificate from the time my AME submits my application?

I'll register with MedExpress before exam.

Anything else I need to do?

Any gotchas?

Last medical was 1983 so BasicMed is out.

Is this a taboo subject?

Do AME's no longer type up and give you certificate during the visit?  That's what I recall at my last 3rd class exam

1 minute ago, TCC said:

As of 3/20/2019, if the AME can issue then you walk out with paper in hand.

?.. I’ve walked out with my 3rd or 2nd class medical for the past 15 years when I got back into flying

21 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Then expect 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

I'm going to think positive and continue studying. A lot has changed since the last time I flew and I truly  enjoy learning about aviation.

Might even be a hidden blessing.

Three months - jeez...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Runway37 said:

Assume something will need review in OKC.

Thanks for responses.

This has been covered extensively in other places but if you have something that may disqualify you, you may want to speak to the AME BEFORE he enters your MEDXPRESS number. Once that application is activated, you may have a disqualification on your record. I hate to cite them as a source, but POA has this covered pretty well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Runway37 said:

Take as much info and supporting information and research who you are seeing before you go.  I had a condition that AOPA "guaranteed" would require review by OKC and the AME approved and signed me off on the spot.  He sent the info to OKC and that was it.  I (thankfully) never heard anything else even though the doctor said I may have to submit some more information.  Find a good AME and have your ducks in a row...it might turn out for you...I know there are different opinions on this subject.  Some will say only give them exactly what is requested.  I get that for sure but this worked for me and kept me from being grounded for 3-6 months which is how long AOPA said to expect the delay to be.

Yes, AME has reviewed my application, and before submitting anything told me what the FAA would be requesting in addition to the app. I have all that and it looks good.

As I understand it, if the FAA requests additional information/documentation you have to supply said documentation within 15 days. I dont know if this is correct; just think I read it somewhere.

So the strategy is use a knowledgeable AME and submit everything at once.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Runway37 said:

Yes, AME has reviewed my application, and before submitting anything told me what the FAA would be requesting in addition to the app. I have all that and it looks good.

As I understand it, if the FAA requests additional information/documentation you have to supply said documentation within 15 days. I dont know if this is correct; just think I read it somewhere.

The FAA has relaxed some over the past few years as to what an AME can sign off on, some things still have to go through OKC the 1st time but then the AME can sign it off the next (assuming nothing has changed). 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Runway37 said:

Exactly and just ensure through your knowledgeable AME that you are submitting everything the FAA will need to review. The last thing you want is to wait for months and they ask for something unexpected you could have submitted the first time yet find yourself waiting for more months. Only what I've heard as an instructor.

• Like 1

Exactly and just ensure through your knowledgeable AME that you are submitting everything the FAA will need to review. The last thing you want is to wait for months and they ask for something unexpected you could have submitted the first time yet find yourself waiting for more months. Only what I've heard as an instructor.

Another technique is to go to the AME under a consultative visit to make sure if you need additional tests or documentation from treating physicians PRIOR to your actual medical, you have them in hand when you go in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Another technique is to go to the AME under a consultative visit to make sure if you need additional tests or documentation from treating physicians PRIOR to your actual medical, you have them in hand when you go in.

Not only "another" technique when there are special issues. The "best" technique.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kortopates said:

This is exactly what I'm doing but you describe it much better than I did. It's been a number of weeks that I've been gathering necessary documentation after a five minute consult with AME. He seemed to know exactly and instantly what the FAA would want given my app.

Now that I have all those docs I'll go in for exam, let him submit everything, go have a beer, watch the beautiful Mooneys go by on controller.com and study airspace requirements, reading metars and...

All the rest :wacko:

Thanks again for all the responses. I now think I'm going about this in the best way possible.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Runway37 said:

I think the time it takes to get an issuance from OKC may also be related to the type of referral. I was deferred for a condition that was signed off on my original medical. It only took two weeks to receive my 2nd class medical in 2015 with a letter explaining that additional deferrals for my condition would be at the AME's discretion. I have since switched to BasicMed, as I find it easier to have a conversation with my primary care physician than undergo a full blown physical. 

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

So off topic but if my 3rd class is 2 years old and I turn 40 this summer is it good for another 3 years?  The exam was taken before it extended from 36 to 60 months. 

You're good for 60 months. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MIm20c said:

So off topic but if my 3rd class is 2 years old and I turn 40 this summer is it good for another 3 years?  The exam was taken before it extended from 36 to 60 months. 

The rule is based on your age on the day you did the exam. Since you were under 40 when you got the medical, it is good for 60 calendar months for private pilot operations. 

• Like 2

BasicMed looks like the best way to go if you can. I haven't "held a medical after July 14, 2006" so I have to go the AME route, THEN BasicMed.

I was skeptical of BasicMed when it rolled out. It was reported some primary care physicians were refusing to do them. I was certain my physician would not do it. When he agreed to do it, I was shocked. He told me it is like the physicals he gives for truck drivers.

As you get older, getting through the 3rd class medical can become increasingly difficult. They added in the BMI requirement and I know of one pilot who had to the sleep apnea study because of it.

I think the best thing about BasicMed is that pilots are more likely to get treated for things that they would have hidden when they were doing 3rd class medicals.

• Like 2