Continental SB primer diverter

jrwilson

I was in the Mooney Service Center (SWTA) getting CiES senders installed and asked JD could also take care of the SB.  He had parts the next day and installed 2 hours later. My parts were a little different than the 231, however, maybe the cause of the back-order.  I think the 231 engine has the rigid (purpose bent) fuel hose where my 252 has the flexible hose. 

Engine starts exactly the same.

1 hour ago, jrwilson said:

Just had the SB for the primer diverter done on my TSIO 360.  Took a couple months to get the back ordered parts, 2 plugs and a fuel line.  Install was about an hour.

It took me a month to get my fuel line and the cylinder drains.  They just showed up yesterday. 

Did you already have the correct cylinder drains?

Cheers,

Dan

46 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

It took me a month to get my fuel line and the cylinder drains.  They just showed up yesterday. 

Did you already have the correct cylinder drains?

Cheers,

Dan

Yeah my cylinder drains were good, just needed the fuel line and plugs.

58 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

Yeah my cylinder drains were good, just needed the fuel line and plugs.

I'm trying to figure out when they made the switch over to the newer style.  Do you think yours were original?

Dan

50 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

I'm trying to figure out when they made the switch over to the newer style.  Do you think yours were original?

Dan

None of these engines are very new and an overhaul is no guarantee of these being replaced without their having been an earlier SB to replace them - to my limited knowledge there wasn't,  just a new part #. But FWIW, my engine was last majored in 2003.

It took about 2 weeks to get mine but I ordered them promptly. The hose did come sooner. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kortopates said:

None of these engines are very new and an overhaul is no guarantee of these being replaced without their having been an earlier SB to replace them - to my limited knowledge there wasn't,  just a new part #. But FWIW, my engine was last majored in 2003.

It took about 2 weeks to get mine but I ordered them promptly. The hose did come sooner. 

Do you know what reason they choose to include the new drains in the SB? 

I know there are a lot of variants of the 360 (both NA and Turbo) that never had a primer diverter valve in the first place, yet used the old drain. 

Not a big deal, I'm just curious if there is a known problem.

Cheers,

Dan 

Do you know what reason they choose to include the new drains in the SB? 

I know there are a lot of variants of the 360 (both NA and Turbo) that never had a primer diverter valve in the first place, yet used the old drain. 

Not a big deal, I'm just curious if there is a known problem.

Cheers,

Dan 

I can only conclude they want to allow the cylinders more fuel to pool before draining out; since the new drains require more fuel before they'll drain. But I haven't seen an explanation.

It's likely going to help with very cold starts which was the reason for the diverter valve anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk