Part #??? I’m replacing camloc mounting.

xcrmckenna

5 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

The skybolt fasteners have larger flanges than the small camlocs (Dzus) which helps keep it from pulling through fiberglass over time, although it means you might need a longer fastener than the old ones.  The big camlocs from Skybolt seem pretty much equivalent.

Milspec has those too. It’s a different part number. 2700 are the small diameter ones and 2800 are the large flange one. I’ve replaced a few with the 2800 where the hole is a little worn for that reason and sometimes yes you do need to step up a size. I started ordering a few at a time and now I basically have a kit full of spares. From time to time I find a bad one somewhere and it’s handy to have them available. 

The word Mil-Spec...  short for military specification... not so much a brand name...

Some guys wrote the spec...

Companies build products that meet the spec...

when it comes to quarter turn type fasteners... Mooney has a history of using two types...Dzus and Camloc...

These are not really easy to interchange...

They also have complex part numbers that describe all the important detail...

To order parts, it helps to have a parts manual, or the existing part in your hand...

When you can’t figure it out... Dan at Lasar is THE goto person...

For the biggest selection and pretty easy to order from use Aircraft Spruce...

For Best price and tremendous selection... use Skybolt...

PP summary of this thread only, not original thinking at all...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Dzus fastener has a spring receptacle like this.

Clarence

BD02EB55-296F-4C73-ACE6-AFF147200371.jpeg

Yep, that’s a Dzus. Miserable things. Takes a special tool to set them. Slots in the heads cam out if you don’t use the proper tool to open and close them (the old Snoopy Dzus tools work best). Springs break - and always in a place where access is problematic. It’s hard to line them all up when there are a bunch on a cowling piece. The last one never seems to catch, so you have to loosen them all and start over trying a different order. Usually the third or fourth try works. Great fun out on the ramp on a hot (or cold) day standing on a ladder wrestling DC-3 cowling pieces into place. Camlocs are the way to go. 

Skip

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

65C used Dzus for door access to battery and oil on top of cowling...  

Camlocs everywhere else...

Rust was always a problem for these bits and pieces...

Swapping SS parts in place was an easy decision...

Best regards,

-a-

That would be the only place that I can think of that Mooney used a Dzus fastener.  I guess they wanted to have all manufacturer’s represented with their fasteners.

Clarence

As an engineer and machinist working on industrial equipment using both standard and metric screws, bolts and socket head cap screws, I just can't beat aviation fastener part number meanings into my head. My favorite way to get the right one is to hand samples of what I need to the nice folks at the counter of Aircraft Spruce and say, "I need 50 of these please." That brings the unit price way down, and I'm able to replace the 2 or 3 or 9 that need it now and have spares for when I need a couple more. Things like belly and inspection panel screws I buy by the 100, and those stashes last several years. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

As an engineer and machinist working on industrial equipment using both standard and metric screws, bolts and socket head cap screws, I just can't beat aviation fastener part number meanings into my head. My favorite way to get the right one is to hand samples of what I need to the nice folks at the counter of Aircraft Spruce and say, "I need 50 of these please." That brings the unit price way down, and I'm able to replace the 2 or 3 or 9 that need it now and have spares for when I need a couple more. Things like belly and inspection panel screws I buy by the 100, and those stashes last several years. 

socket head cap screw.   best idea ever.  The A&P I first worked with suggested replacing the philpis head screws with cap screws on the magneto wire caps.   best time saving move ever.    Also the ones that hold the panel to the steel tube.   Saves lots of time laying on your back

56 minutes ago, Yetti said:

socket head cap screw.   best idea ever.  The A&P I first worked with suggested replacing the philpis head screws with cap screws on the magneto wire caps.   best time saving move ever.    Also the ones that hold the panel to the steel tube.   Saves lots of time laying on your back

May have to look into that. But I'll need some new tips to fit my double-ratcheting screwdriver (love that thing!). At least they wont be hard to  make. 

• 6 months later...