Part #??? I’m replacing camloc mounting.

xcrmckenna

I just replaced all my cowl camlocs with the Skybolt kit today. It turned out great.

One of the four camlocs around the prop and engine has previously been replaced with a screw. I would like to replace the other three camlocs with the same screw type hardware circled in red, but I have no idea what this part is called or where to look on Aircraft Spruce. Thanks for any help.

4d1deeea96f31269101d15da5f570a06.jpg

ca01a2a4e191d3b4bd93830c216ff547.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I’m guessing it would be the two lug floating anchor but?

You need MS21059L3 plate nut.  L3 being 10-32 NF screw size.

Clarence

The original hardware seems flush mounted...

The replacement anchor nut seems to have used a different type of rivet to hold it in place...

See if you can use a flush mount / rivet this time as well...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The nut plate appears to be held on with Pop rivets.  You’ll want to use MS 20426AD3- 3 or 4 length.
Clarence

Do you have a good guess on the size of drill bit to drill out the old camloc nut plate?

3 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Do you have a good guess on the size of drill bit to drill out the old camloc nut plate?

#40 or 3/32”

You might consider replacing the 2 aluminum plates as well.  You’ll need to measure the thickness in an unworn section.  Likely 0.050 or 0.063” 2024T3 aluminum and Ms20426AD4- 3 or-4 length and some epoxy for additional strength.

Clarence 

You might consider replacing the 2 aluminum plates as well.  You’ll need to measure the thickness in an unworn section.  Likely 0.050 or 0.063” 2024T3 aluminum and Ms20426AD4- 3 or-4 length and some epoxy for additional strength.
Clarence 

Can I use a brake rivet tool to press the rivet or do I need one of those forcept rivet compressor. Can’t think of the name right now.

16 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Can I use a brake rivet tool to press the rivet or do I need one of those forcept rivet compressor. Can’t think of the name right now.

Either a rivet squeezer with flat sets or a pneumatic rivet gun, a flat set and a bucking bar.

Clarence 

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Hey Charles, if you're around my neighborhood on a weekend, drop by, I've got plenty of rivets and squeezers, we can knock that out in a few minutes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypertech said:

Not sure about a D model, but on my Ovation, its this series, I think the length is a 5.  There is a little number on the face of the camloc.  That's the length.  

https://www.milspecproducts.com/c_spec_4000_stainless_studs__phillips

I have a Bravo, so should be the same as the Ovation.

6 minutes ago, hypertech said:

Not sure about a D model, but on my Ovation, its this series, I think the length is a 5.  There is a little number on the face of the camloc.  That's the length.  

https://www.milspecproducts.com/c_spec_4000_stainless_studs__phillips

The Skybolt hardware @xcrmckenna mentioned are superior, and you don't have to order the whole replacement kit if you're just looking for a few

The skybolt fasteners have larger flanges than the small camlocs (Dzus) which helps keep it from pulling through fiberglass over time, although it means you might need a longer fastener than the old ones.  The big camlocs from Skybolt seem pretty much equivalent.

Mooney used Camloc 2700 (smaller diameter) and 4000 (larger diameter) fasteners on many models.  Earlier ones used screws.  Earlier battery doors used Southco (Lion) fasteners before switching to 2700 Camloc fasteners.

Dzus were more common on WW2 airplanes.

Clarence

12 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Mooney used Camloc 2700 (smaller diameter) and 4000 (larger diameter) fasteners on many models.  Earlier ones used screws.  Earlier battery doors used Southco (Lion) fasteners before switching to 2700 Camloc fasteners.

Clarence

I have no idea what I'm talking about, I just know them as big and little thing-a-ma-jiggies :D

14 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I believe the fasteners that hold the left side, square, fuselage panel on many of the short and medium bodied birds is a Dzus product. The are the only flat headed fasteners on the whole airframe IIRC.

Edited by Shadrach

For some reason on my J, some of the #5s on the lower cowl are too tight, I had replaced with #6s. May have something to do with the anti chafe tape used.

Tom