Imstrument rating in a bravo Eastern Nebraska

Hello all, been trying to get my instrument rating for quite some time. Lost our 182 RG in a tornado @ KLCG, and the years following that either life or equipment got in the way. Anyone know a Mooney specific CFII that is a reasonable distance from me that I could link up with to try and finish up...I meet all requirements it’s a proficiency and comfort thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine not having an instrument ticket substantially decreases the utility of the Bravo.  If I were you, I would just get it knocked out locally in someone else’s aircraft. Since you have had your bravo for some time you should have no problem simply transitioning your instrument skills to your aircraft. IMHO, I wouldn’t want to do the instrument training in my bravo because of the distractions associated with wanting to properly monitor and manage engine parameters so that nothing gets abused.

• Like 2

I would imagine not having an instrument ticket substantially decreases the utility of the Bravo.  If I were you, I would just get it knocked out locally in someone else’s aircraft. Since you have had your bravo for some time you should have no problem simply transitioning your instrument skills to your aircraft. IMHO, I wouldn’t want to do the instrument training in my bravo because of the distractions associated with wanting to properly monitor and manage engine parameters so that nothing gets abused.

That brings me to next question, what power settings are you running as you enter and y approach

8 minutes ago, blakealbers said:

That brings me to next question, what power settings are you running as you enter and y approach

Varies a little for conditions and weight but generally 16/2400 is the approach setting I use till the final fix and reduce MP and prop full forward from there with amount of MP reduction again being dependent on winds, weight and type of approach. I like 90 kn until I have the runway environment at which time I’ll add the second notch of flaps to  get her slowed up to land.

Good luck with your training.

1 hour ago, Bravoman said:

I like 90 kn until I have the runway environment at which time I’ll add the second notch of flaps to  get her slowed up to land.

I don't own a Bravo but got my IFR in my M20K a couple years ago.  I don't use a "power setting" but I do whatever it takes to remain a stable glide path at 90kts (too) until runway enviornment - good advise.

• Like 2

Blake,

Engine settings... great question...

Every answer will need adjustment with weight and temp as variables... but you know that already....

Look up MAPA training...

They provide a great Mooney book as a take away... a page of model specific, configuration and engine settings for all the various phases of flight...

Get the training, get the book, get a feel for all the variables...

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/23/2019 at 10:10 PM, carusoam said:

Find @mike_elliott see what he has cookin’

Unfortunately, I have forgotten what Mike’s Home Drome actually is...

Best regards,

-a-

Right now, I’m in Kerrville, Houston tomorrow then home to Tarpon Springs for another week of ifr training, then back with another new Ultra owner. Remind me to cut the grass while home and kiss my beautiful wife!

• Like 3

On 4/24/2019 at 9:17 AM, Bravoman said:

Given you have stalled in your training a few times, I would suggest looking at an accelerated course.   Get your ticket in something like a 172.  Then find the Mooney specific instructor to get yourself comfortable in your plane.   When I did it, I found two weeks and left my home so learning was focused and the demands of work and family were out of the way.  Also, you may want to calculate the cost per hour in your Mooney vs getting your ticket in a trainer.    Some folks discourage accelerated courses, but I would never trade what I did.  I ended up with lots of real IMC and weather conditions. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:43 AM, Bravoman said:

Varies a little for conditions and weight but generally 16/2400 is the approach setting I use till the final fix and reduce MP and prop full forward from there with amount of MP reduction again being dependent on winds, weight and type of approach. I like 90 kn until I have the runway environment at which time I’ll add the second notch of flaps to  get her slowed up to land.

Good luck with your training.

I prefer 19/24 and 100 kts on Approach if I’m dealing with gusty winds associated with weather.The Bravo ,too me feels more stable in IMC at that speed.Also I typically do not use full flaps on final to landing.Again ,while using more runway ,my Bravo feels more like my Baron in gusty winds.I do tend to use more runway...so don’t repeat me necessarily.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, mike_elliott said:

Right now, I’m in Kerrville, Houston tomorrow then home to Tarpon Springs for another week of ifr training, then back with another new Ultra owner. Remind me to cut the grass while home and kiss my beautiful wife!

Did you get the grass cut? :)