Newish guy intro.

HI!

I have been lurking for quite some time getting a feel for this group and learning so much about Mooney airplanes.  I have found that most post are kind and welcoming and informative.  When I was in high school, I took an aviation class instead of a chemistry class for a science credit.  I loved it!  Passing the class was passing the ground school.  One thing that really stuck in my mind was how my teacher loved Mooneys.  Several years later, I started my PPL.  After an injury that damaged my back and after my long distance solo, I hurt so bad I couldn't get out of the plane.  Well, my idea of flying as a career was over.  I just needed my check ride and I would have had my PPL.  Things have changed and now I want to fly again and yes, I want a Mooney.  I went to my local airport in Coeur d' Alene and I'll start flying again on Tuesday in a Cessna 175 tail dragger.  I suppose that this will be much more different than the 150's I started to learn in.  Anyhow, talking to the flight school, they also have a flight club and they have a Mooney.  The kid I was talking to, who wasn't born yet when I stopped flying, thought it was a '79 which would make it a J.  Well, the J bar gave it away as earlier than a '67 and having the seats against the rear seats also made it short so my guess is a C.  I loved that the aluminum panels were polished on the top including wings and paint on the lower.  That was very cool.

I am now 52 and thought that if I started flying again, it would only be for the next 10 or so years.  Then I read we have some octoflyarians.  This really inspired me to want to finish my PPL and go for it.  There are a lot of years left for me to fly!

As far as a purchasing Mooney goes, I would like a later J or earlier O.  Not sure I want or need a turbo yet.  

Is there any Mooney folk in the Northern Idaho area?  Instructors?

Tom

• Like 7

I am now 52 and thought that if I started flying again, it would only be for the next 10 or so years.  Then I read we have some octoflyarians.  This really inspired me to want to finish my PPL and go for it.  There are a lot of years left for me to fly!

Tom

Go for it and don’t look back.
I’m 55 and have had my ppl 14 months. After 15 years of on again/off again training I finally got my ticket. Purchased my 67 Mooney M20F two months before my check ride. I’m still amazed that I actually have my own plane and the ability to fly whenever I’d like. Join us at the West Coast Mooney Group when you are ready. Welcome to the club!
2ef5a0cde5f6641c60b29951d0998fe8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Welcome aboard, Tom!

After 50, after kids, after work....

These are some of the reasons MSers finally have the time and resources to activate the flying dream...

You have started a great thread...

Keep it going.

There are a few who have documented the long journey from idea to ppl.... and beyond.

Good luck with your next steps.

Don’t get disappointed when you read some negativity in any advice... it comes about because many of us are not expert writers.   :)

I’m still pretty new at re-learning to fly, and writing too.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

My favorite octogenarian was the guy a few of us met at a fly-in at Latrobe, PA. He flew his IO-390 F model from I think Pottstown. He told me he was 89 years old and had the hearing aids to prove it. I think if you can keep yourself reasonably fit and your marbles stay in the sack, you can fly for quite some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Mr Rodgers, that is a beautiful F!  Thanks for the support and I'm looking forward to learn/relearn and Tuesday, I'll see if I actually remember much.

I do get that people are people and I think overall, the positives here are more than the negative.  I also recognize that there is wisdom that speaks here as well and may come across as negative, but I get it.

There was someone like me, just starting out again, that wanted a Rocket.  I did too as I teach high performance driving.  I thought, why not?  Then reading the thread and the wisdom that came made total sense to me.  A nice F or J could be just right for me, but I like the idea of FIKI on an Ovation.  Maybe this will be too much at first.  I hope not.

My mission is to fly from North Idaho to Washington Olympics as part of my business, when it makes sense and seeing the grandkid (s) (hopefully soon) as my kids move away.  Have one so far.  My son is in the Air Force and is in Monterey Ca right now.  Love to go see them more often and flying seems better than that long of a drive.

• Like 4

I had a client who at 89 passed his medical and instrument check ride.  He told me he would not renew at age 91.  Sadly he didn’t make it, he was hit by a car crossing the road while on a flying trip in his 252, which is now owned by a member here.

Clarence

I had a client who at 89 passed his medical and instrument check ride.  He told me he would not renew at age 91.  Sadly he didn’t make it, he was hit by a car crossing the road while on a flying trip in his 252, which is now owned by a member here.
Clarence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Tom,

Welcome back to aviation! You'll be in good hands at Latitude. I'm an owner in the flight club you mentioned and you are right - it's a '65 M20C. We also own a 182 as well. I'll actually be selling my share shortly if you're interested, they go for $5,000 (IIRC, we've changed the ownership structure since I bought in) and the rates are very reasonable. I'm in the process now of finding an M20K to call my own otherwise I'd stay in the club.

I've been on the ground due to personal commitments the last 1.5 years but let me know if you have any questions about flying in the area. Jeff, the owner of Latitude, has quite a bit of Mooney experience.

Take care,

Brett

• Like 1

Thanks Florg!  I'll talk directly to Jeff in the near future.  I'll look into the flying club and we will be in touch.  I'm new to this area, coming from the Seattle area.  No politics here, but just had to get out.  Getting some personal information about flying in the area would be very cool.

Good luck in finding your M20K!  I'm assuming a 252 or does the 231 have a different letter?

Tom

On 4/24/2019 at 7:00 AM, Mufflerbearing said:

Thanks Florg!  I'll talk directly to Jeff in the near future.  I'll look into the flying club and we will be in touch.  I'm new to this area, coming from the Seattle area.  No politics here, but just had to get out.  Getting some personal information about flying in the area would be very cool.

Good luck in finding your M20K!  I'm assuming a 252 or does the 231 have a different letter?

Tom

Thanks, Tom. Both the 231 and 252 (and Encore) share the M20K designation. I'm looking to find a 252 or Encore that's pretty well equipped and has a respectable useful load. I made an offer yesterday on one but someone beat me to it so I'll keep looking.

-Brett

Welcome aboard. I have wanted to fly as long as I have a memory of anything. A few years ago when we had grandkids being born a month apart, one in Idaho and one in Utah, my wife said I should get my license and a plane so we could see them more often. (We live in SoCal). I started lessons within days.

Unrelated question, where did your forum name come from? I have been in the automotive dealership business for a long time, started out in the Parts Departments. When I got my first chance working the parts counter one of the "mess with the new guy" requests was to look up some muffler bearings...

23 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Welcome aboard. I have wanted to fly as long as I have a memory of anything. A few years ago when we had grandkids being born a month apart, one in Idaho and one in Utah, my wife said I should get my license and a plane so we could see them more often. (We live in SoCal). I started lessons within days.

Unrelated question, where did your forum name come from? I have been in the automotive dealership business for a long time, started out in the Parts Departments. When I got my first chance working the parts counter one of the "mess with the new guy" requests was to look up some muffler bearings...

@Skates97 don’t EVER give up that wife!!!  I have one just like that, who wanted me to move off the “F” model to a Mooney Rocket for more speed and overall capability (with turbo and deice).  And then supported the Lancair Turbo Prop move as well.  Those women are few and far between. 

And the muffler bearing comment; I own a truck dealership and have wrenched my whole life.  Yep.......that’s always been a fun one with newbies.  

Tom

• Like 5

On 4/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, Skates97 said:

Wrenching most of my life, and my business of teaching high performance driving and having a fleet of race cars...It just seems appropriate.  We have one grand baby so far and she is in Monterey Ca, so trips there to see grand baby is a priority.  Luckily for me, with all of the race cars and other things, my dear wife is very supportive of me getting a plane and is already making plans for trips.  She doesn't really care what kind of plane, but being fast to a destination certainly is a plus.  

Anyone do any back country kind of flying?  This is something that our local school likes to do.  Seems fun.  Obviously not with a mooney...  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, Florg said:

Thanks, Tom. Both the 231 and 252 (and Encore) share the M20K designation. I'm looking to find a 252 or Encore that's pretty well equipped and has a respectable useful load. I made an offer yesterday on one but someone beat me to it so I'll keep looking.

-Brett

In many things, the chase seems to be as fun as the actual acquisition.  Enjoy the journey!

Mb,

Yes...

we have one MSer that used to fly his M20C regularly to unimproved strips... Dad’s ranch with cows in the same field...

Bryan has posted a few M20C videos going in and out of tight spaces.  YouTube....

Unfortunately, Bryan had to sell his plane...

So he could buy some other plane more suited to that type of environment!  :)

If you see a video of tall rocks and long props with a red M20C landing with the rest of them.... That’s Bryan...

The M20C, with an AOAi, makes a great short field Mooney...  the C is as light as Mooneys get.

Landing in tight spaces requires really good speed control...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

.....the M20C, with an AOAi, makes a great short field Mooney...  the C is as light as Mooneys get.

Yes, I found my C was pretty good on grass and dirt strips. Not Super Cub good but ok.  

Watch out for gopher holes.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Mb,

Yes...

we have one MSer that used to fly his M20C regularly to unimproved strips... Dad’s ranch with cows in the same field...

Bryan has posted a few M20C videos going in and out of tight spaces.  YouTube....

Unfortunately, Bryan had to sell his plane...

So he could buy some other plane more suited to that type of environment!  :)

If you see a video of tall rocks and long props with a red M20C landing with the rest of them.... That’s Bryan...

The M20C, with an AOAi, makes a great short field Mooney...  the C is as light as Mooneys get.

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Look for Bryan and his two-tone-red Mooney on youtube as piperpainter. Amazing skills!

• Like 1