Anyone have a PIREP for Magdalena (N29)?

jaylw314

We're planning a trip to see friends who live near Socorro, NM this summer.  Socorro has a nice big airport, but they actually live near Magdalena, about 20 miles west (just east of the Very Large Array radio telescope).  Magdalena has an airstrip, and there's actually a B&B at the field, but the field is listed as "dirt, treated with flyash, firm but dusty."  I have no idea what that actually looks like or if that will be a problem in a RG plane like a Mooney.  I could get our friends to check out the runway condition itself in terms of smoothness, rocks and potholes.  Anyone been there before?

https://skyvector.com/?ll=34.09277645520483,-107.28405761269521&chart=301&zoom=2&fpl=undefined

On 4/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, jaylw314 said:

Thanks!  The PIREP is from 13 years ago, but the comments about the rocks you need to navigate around makes me a little nervous, especially with a new prop...

I cannot guarantee it, but I think that you aren't going to hit a big enough rock in Magdalena. The problem is the rain. The strip becomes muddy, and the mud sticks to the wheels together with stones. Then, wheels throw stones all around. You're going to whack insides of your nose and main wells real good. The rocks thrown by the front wheel are going to ding the prop, too. The strip is fine after a few dry days, but your schedule gets uncertain because of it.

Attached is my Carlson at Magdalena in 2014.

20140323-N29-05.jpg

• Thanks 1