M20C Pre-purchase near Salt Lake City

20 minutes ago, lithium366 said:

@Marauder He is not asking for any deposit before an annual. I think he realizes that he needs it in order to sell an airplane for money he is asking and is going to just do that. Now of course someone can show up and buy his airplane while it is in annual but I am fine with that.I am certainly not protected from paper annuals but how this is different from other airplanes on the market that have a current and relatively fresh annual?

It's not, I think people were worried you might enter into a contract with him assuming the annual will be done.

If you wanted to enter a buyer's contract with him before the annual, you would specify that the annual being completed is a contingency (and required to get the pre-purchase exam done anyway).

and +1 on the comment about selling at Vref--that is the value of a plane that is in annual, so the cost of annual should not be in addition to that.

• Like 1

First time buyer...

Gravitate towards the often flown, in annual, and known seller....

As in being able to speak with the seller for the bazillions of questions you may have along the way...

Fear not... letting go of the quirky, out of annual, hard to understand reason for sale....

There will be plenty of wackiness in your own aviation experience, why pick up any additional wackiness prior to the sale...

This plane is better for somebody else... somebody that buys planes as part of their business...

Choose wisely... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, lithium366 said:

Hello! My name is Ilya and I am Mooneyless. Currently looking for my very first M20C and recently came across the one I like and will appreciate an advise on an experienced A&P for pre-purchase inspection and optionally IA for an annual in or around Salt Lake City. Thank you!

Me too:(. Been looking for a "Will Work for Mooney" sign on eBay but can't seem to find one!

Best of luck to you Ilya.

Enjoy the hunt.

• Haha 1

It's called an annual INSPECTION.   So think of it as a really really through walk around.  Much of the things that could be found by an IA could also be found by pilot with a keen eye and good feel.   Like the tail.  You should check for play by gently lifting each time you walk around.  Check for fresh grease on the gear.  Check for corrosion in the wheel wells.  Check for everything to work inside.  Check for shoulder harnesses.  General condition will help you know how the Inspection will go

So, this is technically unrelated but I don't want to create a new post  on a similar subject. I decided to trust my first purchase to Jimmi Garrison based on his reputation here and will be looking at one of his airplanes next Tuesday, May 7. If anyone experienced is around and want to join to help me make a decision I will appreciate!

Edited by lithium366

18 minutes ago, lithium366 said:

So, this is technically unrelated but I don't want to create a new post  on a similar subject. I decided to trust my first purchase to Jimmi Garrison based on his reputation here and will be looking at one of his airplanes next Tuesday, May 7. If anyone experienced is around and want to join to help me make a decision I will appreciate!

You won't go wrong with AAA.  They seem accepted here as the go to people.  I bought my plane from them and they followed through on everything they said they would on time.  They know Mooney's well, which means you won't get a screaming deal or anything like that, but there list prices will be in the fair range.

If you buy from them, pre-buys can be done at SWTA, Don Maxwell or Dugosh, all within flying distance for them.

2 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

You won't go wrong with AAA.  They seem accepted here as the go to people.  I bought my plane from them and they followed through on everything they said they would on time.  They know Mooney's well, which means you won't get a screaming deal or anything like that, but there list prices will be in the fair range.

If you buy from them, pre-buys can be done at SWTA, Don Maxwell or Dugosh, all within flying distance for them.

Thank you. These reviews add confidence. My comment was more about finding a party so I can speak to Jimmi on the same language because I am first time buyer. I need someone help me ask right questions. Also I never heard of SWTA and Dugosh. Are they closer than Don Maxwell?

Edited by lithium366

Just now, lithium366 said:

Thank you. These reviews add confidence. My comment was more about finding a party so I can speak to Jimmi on the same language because I am first time buyer. I need someone help me ask right questions. Also I never heard of SWTA and Dugosh. Are they closer than Don Maxwell?

I was a first time buyer, but I paid a friend who was an IA to fly out there and take a first look at it (I later paid him to ferry it out to OR).  If you have any friends who are mechanics, they'd probably enjoy the opportunity.  All the buyers stuff I read about online and put together a contract, used an escrow service, and arranged the financing myself, so it's certainly possible as a first time buyer.  Of course, if you can pay a buyer's agent to do all that for you, it's a lot less of a headache.

SWTA -- Southwest Texas Aviation in Smithville

Dugosh -- in Kerrville (where the Mooney factory is)

I don't know how they compare distance-wise, but I recall all of them have been used for pre-buys with AAA

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lithium, @lithium366

have you been able to make headway on this part of the project..?

As a first time buyer, I spoke with David... he was helpful in explaining all things M20C with me...

I had 100 hours of C150 experience...

A decade later with 1,000 hours of M20C experience...

I was back talking with David and Jimmy again about the M20R...

The good news... they know customers from low experience to maximum experience...

They can help you organize the PPI, the TT, registration, insurance, finance and any upgrades you want...

Lots of details to cover when buying a plane...  AAA can help you with all that...

So if you don’t know all the questions to ask,  Ask David... What do all the other Mooney owners ask?

You will be surprised by how much detail these guys can deliver...

Don’t fear being the new guy... everybody has to start somewhere...

Take good notes... you will be testing your own memory with the amount of info that you get...

PP thoughts only,

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoam @DXB Unfortunately that airplane was sold before I get there to see it. At this point I am about to take one of the planes to a MSC in Idaho. Will post an update when (hopefully) close on it. Thanks guys!

Edited by lithium366
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, lithium366 said:

And here is she! Got it from one of our members and will deliver from Boise to WHP tomorrow. Thank you guys for support and all advices!

IMG_8122.HEICUnavailable IMG_8127.HEICUnavailable

Congrats! But images failed to upload and the members here are always ravenous for pics of peoples' new birds  :lol:

• Haha 1