M20E Prop Control

I replaced an aging prop control cable today. I am wondering if it was done right the last time. There is a piece of angle iron (aluminum) coming off the governor and the prop control cable is fastened to it with 4 clamps in order to keep it straight and immobile. I’ve checked the service manual to no avail. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Seems janky to me.. Edit to add: this pic was taken before disassembly. 788a852b37a97c475093ef0cb177b597.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone did a sloppy job of cutting the cable tie on the spark plug wires, that is sure to scratch an arm one day.
Is the chafe protection on the oil line in the right place, I don’t see what’s protecting it from?
What’s the other cable tie for?

I think maybe there was something there at one time, but I’m no expert.

cf25739923c04f573d27e6271cf52300.jpg

Tom

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Someone did a sloppy job of cutting the cable tie on the spark plug wires, that is sure to scratch an arm one day.
Is the chafe protection on the oil line in the right place, I don’t see what’s protecting it from?
What’s the other cable tie for?

I think maybe there was something there at one time, but I’m no expert.

cf25739923c04f573d27e6271cf52300.jpg

Tom

Looks like your phone flipped the photo.

The anti chafe on the oil line is keeping it off the firewall.   The line needs to be shortened.

The MP line should probably have a loop in it.  It's probably going to crack at the firewall fitting

Snap on makes a pair of dikes that truly are flush cut.  Bad thing is if you drop them they fall nose down and break a tip off the cutters.  I have two with broken tips.  The CB way of making ty wraps safe is to use finger nail clippers.  It rounds the edges.

Seems like your spark plug wires should go up and over.   but you have a dog house. so there is that.

+1 for having fancy teflon fuel line to the FP gauge.   Hopefully that same line was done inside the plane also.

Thank you all for the help. I’ll tend to those issues today. Got this airplane in Feb. It was owned by an IA. I used to work for America West as a tech so yea I know about the cable ties safety wire etc. My arms are already shredded..

20 minutes ago, Robert Hicks said:

This is the best tool for cable ties. Automatically breaks the tail off within the locking mechanism. af8da31bd4d1145828aa0cbdb60fc6cb.jpg

it's the best but slow.

If you do a couple hundred in a day it's quicker to use the cutters, do a quick twist just gripping the tail, then move close to the lock part and flush cut.  You get a certified tension feel after you break a couple.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert Hicks said:

Thank you all for the help. I’ll tend to those issues today. Got this airplane in Feb. It was owned by an IA. I used to work for America West as a tech so yea I know about the cable ties safety wire etc. My arms are already shredded..

Nothing that some sweat equity can’t fix.  The previous IA/ owner didn’t take much pride in his work.

Clarence

16 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Nothing that some sweat equity can’t fix.  The previous IA/ owner didn’t take much pride in his work.

Clarence

Ha ha..   As the Grumpy IA says.  "We don't want other shops to know that came out of our shop   redo it"    Also the top left of the pic looks like spark plug leads are randomly tywrapped to something random.

Edited by Yetti

1 minute ago, Yetti said:

Ha ha..   As the Grumpy IA says.  "We don't want other shops to know that came out of our shop   redo it"    Also the top left of the pic looks like spark plug leads are randomly tywrapped to something random.

Or as one told me when I was younger “there’s never time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it twice”

Clarence

6 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Or as one told me when I was younger “there’s never time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it twice”

Clarence

TRUE! You have no idea how many times I have experienced that in my work...

Or my Grandfather.  "There is a right tool for every job"   He owned about 20 different types of hammers. I risked getting beat with one of those hammers if I used the wrong tool.  Crescent wrenches (rounding wrenches)  were universally banned from use.

• Like 1

Just now, Robert Hicks said:

Finished it all up today. Tidy’d up all the random wiring. Replaced manifold pressure line. And finished the prop cable. After all that I forgot my keys so I couldn’t do a run up.. emoji53.png

Oh no you are not getting off that easy.  Post an after picture.   We can find more work for you.

2 minutes ago, Robert Hicks said:

Hahaha exactly why I didn’t even take a pic! Cowling is on now so maybe next time! emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Bet you make a spare set of keys and keep one set in the car and one in the plane.