ARI Cowl Mod or Not

4 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

nice work Lynn, looks good Bob. Ill stop by Hawk sometime and get some pics posted for all to see :)

Mike, I'm now planning to fly down Saturday morning and catch a SouthWest flight to TPA/ATL/GSP that evening. I don't recall when you're headed out of town...

On 3/15/2018 at 2:49 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Anthony, I took some pics today with the second landing light installed. Smiley Face? @Sabremech, @Guitarmaster, @Marauder, @AGL Aviation, @mike_elliott.

(I'm going to keep the new paint scheme under wraps. It includes a nod to '66E retro and a nod to the latest Mooneys.)

IMG_20180315_125733788[1].jpg

IMG_20180315_125757599[1].jpg

IMG_20180315_125826693[1].jpg

Think I need a sneak peak of the paint scheme!! 

On 3/15/2018 at 8:09 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Mike, I'm now planning to fly down Saturday morning and catch a SouthWest flight to TPA/ATL/GSP that evening. I don't recall when you're headed out of town...

I am not heading out until Mon morn, Bob, but am working with a German student today and Sun.

48 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'm waiting for my Southwest flight at TPA. Catch you later.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Flight go well? Safe travels home. We’re planning a visit to AGL Aviation the first week of May. Will your bird be done by then? 

Flight go well? Safe travels home. We’re planning a visit to AGL Aviation the first week of May. Will your bird be done by then? 
Maybe. Nancy and I will be in CA the first week of May but the plane should be ready about then. I just sent you an email on flight.

Here is my question.  Why the total silence on the price point for the Sabre cowl?  I have not even seen a range.  Post the price, or at least a range so a legitimate comparison between ARI and LoPresti cowl can be accomplished.  Certainly enough time has passed and enough R&D has been done to know a range at least...

What is the bottom line?

On 3/17/2018 at 2:05 PM, Bob_Belville said:

Maybe. Nancy and I will be in CA the first week of May but the plane should be ready about then. I just sent you an email on flight.

Must of been a great flight to be shrouded in mystery...

Geesh.

17 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Must of been a great flight to be shrouded in mystery...

Geesh.

No big mystery. CHTs were fine, speed was fine, oil temps were high. I'm not ready to think the new cowl is a factor, my oil temps have been higher than most folks for most of the 6 years I've had the plane. When I get the plane back I expect to change the oil cooler location to look like the J using the J's duct to channel more air through the cooler and to make the rear engine baffle straight across the width of the engine. (I've already had the cooler to Pacific and checked the vernatherm and had the vt seat reamed.)

It is not my place to announce the price. David has a plan that we hope leads to a STC expeditiously - the planes done so far have used 337s as test bed examples. I will say that I think many of the vintage Mooney owners following this effort will not be disappointed with the price point which will be much lower than the Lopresti cowl.

What would you be willing to pay?

I am very happy with the price and expect to be a promoter of SabreCowl.

Patience, people.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

No big mystery. CHTs were fine, speed was fine, oil temps were high. I'm not ready to think the new cowl is a factor, my oil temps have been higher than most folks for most of the 6 years I've had the plane. When I get the plane back I expect to change the oil cooler location to look like the J using the J's duct to channel more air through the cooler and to make the rear engine baffle straight across the width of the engine. (I've already had the cooler to Pacific and checked the vernatherm and had the vt seat reamed.)

It is not my place to announce the price. David has a plan that we hope leads to a STC expeditiously - the planes done so far have used 337s as test bed examples. I will say that I think many of the vintage Mooney owners following this effort will not be disappointed with the price point which will be much lower than the Lopresti cowl.

What would you be willing to pay?

I am very happy with the price and expect to be a promoter of SabreCowl.

Patience, people.  :rolleyes:

Patience my arse Bob.  Come on, I asked for a range....Didn’t ask for a specific price.  LoPresti is $10kish so ya there should be a significant savings or few would be sold.  We are not talking about a whole cowl, we are talking about the front upper and lower and baffles.  My prop was identified as good to go with the cowl as is...

Hope you get your oil temp issue sorted.  I agree that this is likely NOT the Sabre cowl.

Curious also why your cowl was inserted in an ARI thread?  Why inserted on my “Speed is Relative” thread?  Is there a need to market?  Aren’t folks “lined up” to be the next guinea test bed pigs?

Nice to have choices on cowl mod/updates.  I would not do David’s mod until I knew the issues with baffles are sorted.  I can get good speed out of my plane with an extra gallon of fuel/hour burned so it is more a cosmetic enhancement for me.  I would prefer to leave my ram air and oil cooler as stock as engine runs cool and plane is plenty fast as is.

Hope your paint comes out as awesome as you hope.

On 6/28/2013 at 9:09 PM, Sabremech said:

Hi Scott, I'm working on my STC. Just received the parts from James Aircraft to make the mould for my cowl mod yesterday. I still think it's at least 6-9 months away from me being able to offer it for sale. Will post more as this progresses. Slowly but surely!

Thanks,

David

This was written in 2013 with response. Knot, knot double knot carry the 1 that is nearly five years.  A little off from that 9 month estimate....ah yes, p.a.t.i.e.n.c.e.......

R.I.P. Van Winkle is right at home.

51 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

This was written in 2013 with response. Knot, knot double knot carry the 1 that is nearly five years.  A little off from that 9 month estimate....ah yes, p.a.t.i.e.n.c.e.......

R.I.P. Van Winkle is right at home.

Well, I decided to go the route of field approvals for this mod. Much easier and less costly. I have 4 airplanes now flying the modified cowling and considering I have a full time job and a part time business, don’t consider that too bad. If you only knew how much time it takes to do these, considering each airframe is just different enough to not be able to make all the parts identical, then you might understand and have a different opinion. I am working on a way to speed it up if able. 

Thanks,

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Here is my question.  Why the total silence on the price point for the Sabre cowl?  I have not even seen a range.  Post the price, or at least a range so a legitimate comparison between ARI and LoPresti cowl can be accomplished.  Certainly enough time has passed and enough R&D has been done to know a range at least...

What is the bottom line?

I posted that at least a year ago in my own thread. Since you missed it, price range is $4-6K depending on what airplane and what equipment up front it has or does not have. 

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I posted that at least a year ago in my own thread. Since you missed it, price range is $4-6K depending on what airplane and what equipment up front it has or does not have. 

Thanks,

David

This is much cheaper than LoPresti's $16k price.

Does your price range includes your (full) install labor as well? I'm sure most of us, not close to WI, would prefer ordering parts and do install at home field. How much work would you insist doing yourself?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Patience my arse Bob.  Come on, I asked for a range....Didn’t ask for a specific price.  LoPresti is $10kish so ya there should be a significant savings or few would be sold.  We are not talking about a whole cowl, we are talking about the front upper and lower and baffles.  My prop was identified as good to go with the cowl as is...

Hope you get your oil temp issue sorted.  I agree that this is likely NOT the Sabre cowl.

Curious also why your cowl was inserted in an ARI thread?  Why inserted on my “Speed is Relative” thread?  Is there a need to market?  Aren’t folks “lined up” to be the next guinea test bed pigs?

Nice to have choices on cowl mod/updates.  I would not do David’s mod until I knew the issues with baffles are sorted.  I can get good speed out of my plane with an extra gallon of fuel/hour burned so it is more a cosmetic enhancement for me.  I would prefer to leave my ram air and oil cooler as stock as engine runs cool and plane is plenty fast as is.

Hope your paint comes out as awesome as you hope.

Just was going to clarify for you LoPresti is 16ish not 10ish PLUS LABOR and PAINT!

Check out these post here 

David and Bob,

I love the look and the two landing lights seem to make it pop (something about the symmetry of it).  Looks like you are killing it!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

This is much cheaper than LoPresti's $16k price.

Does your price range includes your (full) install labor as well? I'm sure most of us, not close to WI, would prefer ordering parts and do install at home field. How much work would you insist doing yourself?

Thank you.

Hi Igor U, the $4-6K does include the labor to install it. The largest part cost is the spinner. Not sure about sending kits out at this time.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

Missed that price range David and I have been watching with a LOT of interest since inception. I think that is more than reasonable with a spinner and installation.  I would not need a spinner per previous posts.  I am the CB of CB’s so I will just wait and raid your dumpster :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Missed that price range David and I have been watching with a LOT of interest since inception. I think that is more than reasonable with a spinner and installation.  I would not need a spinner per previous posts.  I am the CB of CB’s so I will just wait and raid your dumpster :)

I seem to take big pieces of aluminum and turn them into just the right size to recycle! 

David

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, David Herman said:

We just installed a 201 Windshield and ARI Cowl Mod. It’s in for paint now. We wanted to do a cowl mod now while we were doing the windshield ... before going back for paint. The ARI website is down, but he answers the phone and emails. It was $3572 plus shipping. ($2300 of that was for new spinner and hardware) I also highly recommend the ARI Landing Light Lense Cover. 

(David’s Cowl looks great, but it not available now for 1965 and older models now. We have a 1965C) 

E3143C9B-FCD6-48AF-8719-36904380DF92.jpeg

BA63B445-6040-4125-A8E0-B64EB4CF82B9.jpeg

7E82C796-66B3-438F-BA66-D09E2803B6A8.jpeg

0CFCBD76-4C08-4079-982F-948FAC4EB48F.jpeg

Wow David, your plane came out just beautiful!  Congratulations on your refurbishment/upgrading on your C.  It is a stunner!

1 hour ago, David Herman said:

Yes ... how I could I forget our own Jose’ ... !!!

Ingenuity and a lot of work ... if I recall correctly - the FAA made him do stalls and spins at max gross weight with his tanks installed before they would certify it?

He used to have a brilliant mind before he got fixated on pee and poop. (snicker) 

I think the pee and poop thing was a result of those max gross tests...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1