ARI Cowl Mod or Not

Alright guys and gals, I am wanting some advice.  I have a 1974 F model and I have been tossing around the idea of the ARI Cowl mod.  I am having a 201 style windshield installed later on next week.  What do ya'll think?  Is it a good option?  I currently have the lower cowl enclosure.  If I were to do it I would go with the sandwich install so you would not see any screws ect, and I was told that when it comes to painting they can use a fiberglass filler to really smooth out the lines and make it look like it came that way.  So.....what do you guys think?

-Ray

Hi Ray,

My Mooney has an older ARI cowl enclosure. I'm in the process of repairing the fiberglass right now. I'm not a fan of riveting fiberglass to aluminum and expecting it to hold up to vibration and time. Unless they've gotten better over the years, I'd still expect to occasionally have to repair cracks etc. If I had the money, I'd do the SWTA cowling.

They now have a process to sandwich the fiberglass to the aluminum which supposedly makes for a cleaner and more durable fit.  I looked into the SWTA cowling but unfortunately they no longer produce it.  ARI is the only one on the market for a full up cowl mod.  Did you notice any speed increase?  How about temp drops?

Where did you find the 201 Weindshield Kit?

The ARI Cowl is very reasonable, especially if you can find a used 201 style spinner.  If I remember correctly the new spinner that comes with the kit is about $1500 and the fiberglass pieces is about $800.

The 201 Windshield kit was pieced together with a very slightly used cowl deck and parts from Lake Aero.  If you are looking for a windshield kit....I know there was a guy on here that also had a used cowl deck.  From what I understand that is the hard part to come by as Lake Aero uses genuine Mooney parts.  I think I was quoted around 3K for the ARI kit and that was complete with everything.  Not to bad in my opinion.

Hi Ray,

It was on mine when I got it with a bunch of other speed mods. I can't offer any changes before or after. I'd be interested in seeing how ARI does it now. It might be worth it to change mine over to their new style if I could be assured of no cracking.

• 1 year later...

Hi Scott, I'm working on my STC. Just received the parts from James Aircraft to make the mould for my cowl mod yesterday. I still think it's at least 6-9 months away from me being able to offer it for sale. Will post more as this progresses. Slowly but surely!

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

I'm planning to install the ARI mod on my 64E.  Currently have the Lasar lower cowl closure.  It yielded no speed increase, but improved cylinder cooling.  I like the ARI as I really do not want to give up the avionics access panels.  Just completed installing an EDM700, and rebuild the parking brake mechanism.  The access panels make work like this so much easier.  I plan to go with the sandwiched option.

I'm planning to install the ARI mod on my 64E.  Currently have the Lasar lower cowl closure.  It yielded no speed increase, but improved cylinder cooling.  I like the ARI as I really do not want to give up the avionics access panels.  Just completed installing an EDM700, and rebuild the parking brake mechanism.  The access panels make work like this so much easier.  I plan to go with the sandwiched option.

I am contemplating the LASAR lower cowl closure and it is disapointing to hear that you didn't see any speed increase.  is the advertised 3-5 mph increase just smoke and mirrors? Could you please expand on the cooling improvement results. 

Frank

1970 M20C KPSP

I'm planning to install the ARI mod on my 64E. Currently have the Lasar lower cowl closure. It yielded no speed increase, but improved cylinder cooling. I like the ARI as I really do not want to give up the avionics access panels. Just completed installing an EDM700, and rebuild the parking brake mechanism. The access panels make work like this so much easier. I plan to go with the sandwiched option.

I am contemplating the LASAR lower cowl closure and it is disapointing to hear that you didn't see any speed increase. is the advertised 3-5 mph increase just smoke and mirrors? Could you please expand on the cooling improvement results.

Frank
1970 M20C KPSP

I have the lower cowl enclosure as well. I flew the plane for close to 500 hours before I had it done. Speed increase for me was in the 4 knot range -- at cruise altitudes. Also noted a better cooling profile on the cylinders.

• 4 years later...

N6070Q

We have two M20Cs in the family. The '62 has a Lasar cowl closure, which is mostly cosmetic, and a Powerflow Systems exhaust which is quite effective. It cruises at 148 Knots at 6500' and 2400 RPM, pretty much like the Super 21 I used to fly. Our '66 has an ARI cowl closure with the M20J Spinner (it is a myth that you have to change props) and it too is effective and well-designed. It cruises almost as fast at the '62 with its increased power. We are happy with both.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

How are you getting back home, Bob? I’ve got to take our machine from DC to Houston. Hawk is kinda on he way 

Good morning Byron, thanks for the generous offer and I'd love to see your plane in person! But Nancy is coming along and we plan to spend a few days in the area, I'd like to take in a Red Sox (Ft. Myers) Spring Training game. We'll likely fly Delta back to CLT. I have plenty of freq flyer miles. 

Anthony, I took some pics today with the second landing light installed. Smiley Face? @Sabremech, @Guitarmaster, @Marauder, @AGL Aviation, @mike_elliott.

(I'm going to keep the new paint scheme under wraps. It includes a nod to '66E retro and a nod to the latest Mooneys.)

IMG_20180315_125733788[1].jpg

IMG_20180315_125757599[1].jpg

IMG_20180315_125826693[1].jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1