Pushrod making contact with frame

Ness

Hello everyone. I have a Mooney M20J 201 and a few days ago prior to engine start I moved the yoke forward and backward for full range.  While doing so I heard a rubbing/scraping noise that I eventually determined was coming from beneath the right side floorboard. After removing the panel beneath that area I discovered the source of the problem. As the yoke is moved forward and backward full range a pushrod beneath the right floor is making contact with a metal rod of the frame.

The contact is not constant and only happens at a particular phase during the yoke movement. At that time the pushrod drops briefly, makes contact with the frame and rises again. I also noticed grease was packed on the frame rod at that particular spot as if this has been happening for some time. There doesn't seem to be any wear from the contact and I can't imagine this is normal.  Has anyone seen or heard of this? It should also be noted that is the first time I have noticed that scraping noise and I have had this aircraft for 3 years. I will try to get photos and post them if needed.

Edited by Ness

Pictures would be good.

From your description it seems pushrod is in contact with tubular structure of the frame.

Do you gave any phenolic blocks (guides) that pushrod is going through close by?

I had similar case in my 67F (that has different controls then later models) and reason was lack of lubrication (grease) on the blocks and wear on the tube. My IA required replacement (This is when I found out about unique pushrod p/n and LASAR build one to fit) as it was flat spotted... Some MSC owners suggested they clean, refinish and rotate 180 deg and call it good.

This was decade ago and I to check it on annuals for possible wear. I would address it sooner then later. I'm sure you'll hear more from experts that know specific of your plane...

Good luck

@Ness

That is in the category of... never heard of that before...

Something interfering with flight controls?

Got a mechanic?

Got maintenance manuals?

Has the plane gone through an annual just before this occurred?

Post pics when able.

We have mechanics and knowledgeable pilots that can take a look with you... (using your pics)

Sounds like something didn’t get assembled correctly...

Enough to not fly until you know what isn’t working properly....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

The control tubes do run very close the structure and in some places the control tubes do lightly contact the structure.  Take the tube out and make sure that it’s not damaged or bent.

In some cases there are guides or rub blocks to prevent contact,  if not apply some grease to the contact area.

Clarence

Thank you all for the responses. I do have an answer to this question and it does surprise me. It is normal for this particular pushrod to make contact with the frame as mine does.  The contact is very minimal and will only happen while on the ground and if the yoke is manipulated backward/forward full travel.  I was also advised that very shortly after my model year some changes were made to compensate for this contact, which still happens, to further minimize any adverse affects. And for the record I do not see any adverse affects as a result of the contact in my case and I feel fairly comfortable it's been going on since the aircraft was new. Basically if you have a situation similar to mine in a J model just examine for any wear, make sure it is greased and happy flying.  As far as I'm concerned this case is closed. 

• Like 1