GNX375 & GPS175 Install Times?

David_H

I am in South Florida. I have asked four shops for prices and quotes on the GNX375. I have had no response in a week from any of them. I called Garmin support to find out if they had any ideas and I asked the supporter what the in stock supply was as I suspected that might be the problem. He said it wasn't his area of expertise but he would try to find out. After a few minutes he said their in stock number was 0.

I've got a GNX 375 scheduled for installation in June, with an estimate of 16 hours.  This is in a '66 E model with an old Garmin 150XL.  There were some prerequisites in that (a suitable CDI and that other equipment is compatible), but it seems quite reasonable.

Sarasota Avionics quoted me $11K with $4K on the install labor for a 375 (replacing KLN-94 and KT-76A).  16 Hours seems much better!  Does that include integration with your autopilot ect...?

However, it looks like they are discounting the device by $1K off MSRP so maybe it's an effective $3K install at MSRP.

For any that are interested, I received a quote for a 375 install that includes the following:

GNX375, GA35, GAE12, GPS/NAV Switch, KI209A, KN75, and removal of KT76.

The quote was given as a final installed cost. To better understand the costs I did a simplified cost analysis to understand what the costs likely were. The figure below shows the analysis results.

GNX_Analysis.thumb.png.ea8bb128e2beb446d43c36e518abe4a5.png

The shop could probably care less if we said yes or no since they have plenty of ADSB install work scheduled. The overall estimate was $13,424.00.

Edited by David_H
Grammar Correction

1 hour ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

The estimate I received to install a GNX-375 was for $11,000 total with a flat fee of $3400 for labor.  I suspect that does not necessarily mean 34 hours @ $100/hr.

That probably isn't far from the quote I received for the GNX375 by itself. Did they include all the other items needed for the install?

On 4/22/2019 at 8:00 PM, Davidv said:

Sarasota Avionics quoted me $11K with $4K on the install labor for a 375 (replacing KLN-94 and KT-76A).  16 Hours seems much better!  Does that include integration with your autopilot ect...?

However, it looks like they are discounting the device by $1K off MSRP so maybe it's an effective $3K install at MSRP.

Sarsota’s Quotes are always the highest.  They say well Florida has no sales tax. That’s right, but it doesn’t mean they keep all of it. 

On 4/22/2019 at 9:00 PM, Davidv said:

Sarasota Avionics quoted me $11K with $4K on the install labor for a 375 (replacing KLN-94 and KT-76A).  16 Hours seems much better!

I've had very good luck with Treasure Coast Avionics at Fort Pierce. When I needed a GDL 88 installed and interfaced to the GTN,  Sarasota wanted something like 40 hours for the install while Treasure Coast estimated it and came in at 24.

1 minute ago, Davidv said:

Thanks @flyboy0681, I’ve actually already been in touch with them and received a better quote with more flexibility on the install date.  It’s nice to hear that you had a good experience with them as well.

Cathy Rudd took over the operation when her dad passed a few years ago and she does an excellent job. She's taken very good care of me and everyone that I have sent her way.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, Arthur said:

I am in South Florida. I have asked four shops for prices and quotes on the GNX375. I have had no response in a week from any of them. I called Garmin support to find out if they had any ideas and I asked the supporter what the in stock supply was as I suspected that might be the problem. He said it wasn't his area of expertise but he would try to find out. After a few minutes he said their in stock number was 0.

“...no response in a week”? Join the club! I’m still waiting for written quotes from one avionics shop visit on February 28th and another from Sun n Fun. I’ve essentially given up hope of getting any avionics work done before next year. 

11 hours ago, BKlott said:

“...no response in a week”? Join the club! I’m still waiting for written quotes from one avionics shop visit on February 28th and another from Sun n Fun. I’ve essentially given up hope of getting any avionics work done before next year. 

The ADS-B installs are certainly keeping the shops busy.

• 1 month later...

I believe just the GNX-375 but I’ll also add that my installer charged me $6850, so $7995 is just the suggested retail.   I also know that it wasn’t a case or moving money from the unit install since my instal hours are roughly 20.