ForeFlight/FS 210 not connecting

Eraaen

Been searching all morning.  I had transponder upgraded and installed Flight Steam 210.  All was working great with V3 Ipad Mini.  Just upgraded to the 5 (it is faster) worked fine for one flight.  Then nothing.  I attempted to "forget" the other Ipads in my 530 (one must have been the avionics shop, one was my older mini, and then my new mini)  I get them to pair and they look connected.  I see that Blue Tooth is connected on mini.  But no device on Foreflight.  I spent an entire two hour flight yesterday trying to get them to connect.  I believe it has to be within Foreflight not connecting within Garmin Connext. Anybody have any experience?  I have sent Foreflight an email.. but, patience is not a virtue of mine.

I don't know the 530 or Foreflight or the FS210 so my comment probably doesn't apply. 

I use a full size IPad, Garmin Pilot, and FS510 in a GTN750. After the Blue Tooth connection is established it is necessary to open Garmin Pilot on the IPad in order to transfer any data in or out. If GPilot is already running on the IPad it is necessary to close and reopen it.

1 hour ago, Eraaen said:

Been searching all morning.  I had transponder upgraded and installed Flight Steam 210.  All was working great with V3 Ipad Mini.  Just upgraded to the 5 (it is faster) worked fine for one flight.  Then nothing.  I attempted to "forget" the other Ipads in my 530 (one must have been the avionics shop, one was my older mini, and then my new mini)  I get them to pair and they look connected.  I see that Blue Tooth is connected on mini.  But no device on Foreflight.  I spent an entire two hour flight yesterday trying to get them to connect.  I believe it has to be within Foreflight not connecting within Garmin Connext. Anybody have any experience?  I have sent Foreflight an email.. but, patience is not a virtue of mine.

I just had some trouble getting my new mini 5 to connect at the same time as old mini 2 and I think I solved it.  (I have a FS210 and GTN650). No response from Foreflight customer svc email.  The following worked for me  to get both ipads paired with the panel (I'm not sure how it may be different for your 530):

-Have GTN650 forget all Connext devices.  Turn avionics off.

-Turn off  both ipads

- Restart both ipads, turn bluetooth on, keep foreflight closed.

- Turn avionics on.  Pair both ipads in "settings" with bluetooth from the FS210.  Note my old firmware only supports 2 bluetooth devices on FS210 - I am not sure if newer versions can pair with more.  Having more than two bluetooth devices running simultaneously might mess up what the FS210 sees?  I turned off bluetooth on my phone for this reason though I'm not sure it made a difference.

- Pair both devices in the Connext settings page on the GTN650.

- Turn everything off

- Have both ipads on and running Foreflight BEFORE turning on avionics master.  

- Turn on avionics master, start up GTN650, and BE PATIENT.  The Connext icon at the top on Foreflight takes several seconds to appear and does not pop up at the same time on both devices.

Hope that helps.  The bold face step is essential - the connection has been reliable since I've been starting Foreflight before turning on avionics master. Some of the other steps may be superfluous.  

Edited by DXB

I did get a response from Foreflight. DXB , the only thing I didn't do is shut down the Avionics while in flight.  I think I'll try your process of just cleaning everything out and restarting from Avionics power down and see what happens.. It must be a sequence of some sort I messed up.. (not sure what I did as the new 5 had worked wonderfully for 3 or 4 flights prior.)

The links Foreflight sent are pretty basic and are what I used to set up both my old and new Ipads.  I never thought about a couple of Iphones in our pockets trying to connect. They are "usually" in airplane mode for battery saving and I typically don't use for Foreflight, just there for a backup.

This is Foreflights response:

Linda here. We would expect to see the Flightstream 210 show up as a connected device. That's the one that is Bluetoothed to your iPad. I understand this exact avionics set-up you have worked previously, so this seems like a pairing issue.

I would like to get diagnostic files from your new iPad Mini 5. To send us diagnostic files, open ForeFlight Mobile and tap MORE > SETTINGS. Tap on the word "Settings" (in the top dark blue menu bar) 3 times in quick succession. Doing this will create an email with diagnostic files attached that you can send to us (NOTE: It can take up to 30 seconds to create the email, depending on your device). In the body of the email, add "Ticket #387057" so the email will link to this case and then send us the email.

See this article for details: [How do I send Diagnostic files](https://foreflight.com/support/support-center/category/about-foreflight-mobile/360017607774)

Also, before you fly next, please turn on Garmin data logging per these instructions:
[How do I turn on Garmin data logging?](https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/218337627-How-do-I-turn-on-Garmin-data-logging-)

After you fly with logging on, you can send the Garmin logs to us per these instructions:
[How do I send you log files from my Garmin system?](https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us/articles/217851258-How-do-I-send-you-log-files-from-my-Garmin-system-)

Thank you,

Linda Street-Ely
Pilot Support Team
team@foreflight.com
www.foreflight.com

[ForeFlight Support Center] (https://foreflight.com/support/support-center/)
[ForeFlight Video Library] (https://foreflight.com/support/video-library/)
[ForeFlight Mobile Pilot's Guide](https://foreflight.com/ipad/guide/pdf)

• Like 1