Bingo, bango, TANGO

I bet on a used Tango Lightspeed headset and really couldn’t be happier with it. I’ve always been a Bose pilot, so I wasn’t buying the Tango for me but for my better half. We have a one year old baby girl and she is getting old enough where we can start going on longer trips with her. So I thought a wireless headset could help Shareena out in the back when she has to feed Emmalyn, or change a diaper. Today I got up with the Tangos. I plugged its controller into the copilot jacks and the A20 in the pilots side.

I really liked the Tango! It did have a different sound than the Bose. In no means was it bad or annoying, it was just different. The engine was the most noticeable, I switched back and forth over three hours of flight time.

I never noticed a crackling or the bad side tones I’ve read about. Honestly they might have been more comfortable than the Bose. They have bigger ear cups and fit over my ears better. I recommend them to anyone interested in them.

I charged up the batteries last week, let them sit all week and they never showed anything but a green light by the end of the day. I would of left them on till they died but they shut off after a few minutes of inactivity. For the price I might buy two more batteries knowing they hold a charge. Making it an easy switch for a full days worth of flying.

b8a937a68c568786b831845085f03174.jpgf0a4f07bca26f5063b2d7d1002b28db1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I bet on a used Tango Lightspeed headset and really couldn’t be happier with it. I’ve always been a Bose pilot, so I wasn’t buying the Tango for me but for my better half. We have a one year old baby girl and she is getting old enough where we can start going on longer trips with her. So I thought a wireless headset could help Shareena out in the back when she has to feed Emmalyn, or change a diaper. Today I got up with the Tangos. I plugged its controller into the copilot jacks and the A20 in the pilots side.

I really liked the Tango! It did have a different sound than the Bose. In no means was it bad or annoying, it was just different. The engine was the most noticeable, I switched back and forth over three hours of flight time.

I never noticed a crackling or the bad side tones I’ve read about. Honestly they might have been more comfortable than the Bose. They have bigger ear cups and fit over my ears better. I recommend them to anyone interested in them.

I charged up the batteries last week, let them sit all week and they never showed anything but a green light by the end of the day. I would of left them on till they died but they shut off after a few minutes of inactivity. For the price I might buy two more batteries knowing they hold a charge. Making it an easy switch for a full days worth of flying.

b8a937a68c568786b831845085f03174.jpgf0a4f07bca26f5063b2d7d1002b28db1.jpg

I was waiting for this PIREP. Keep us posted over the next few months. If your experience stays positive, may look for a deal at Oshkosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I get about 50 hours of use out of my rechargeable batteries in my Bose.
The active noise reduction allow higher frequencies to not be reduced as much as others. This is why you can hear (at least with my A20s) the gear/stall horns with no problem. You should check this with your Tangos! Those that have reduced hearing range (can’t hear lower frequencies) won’t benefit from active NR as much. The active NR headsets rely on their passive NR foam/padding to reduce the high frequencies.

Tom

Love the beard. Looks like one of my inside sales guys.... said he was going for the yeard. No shaving for whole year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I like that, I’m on my theard then... I started growing it a few months before I found my Mooney. Told the better half I wasn’t going to shave till I bought a plane, luckily she likes it as long as I manscape it so it’s stuck around.

• Like 1

I get about 50 hours of use out of my rechargeable batteries in my Bose.
The active noise reduction allow higher frequencies to not be reduced as much as others. This is why you can hear (at least with my A20s) the gear/stall horns with no problem. You should check this with your Tangos! Those that have reduced hearing range (can’t hear lower frequencies) won’t benefit from active NR as much. The active NR headsets rely on their passive NR foam/padding to reduce the high frequencies.

Tom

I installed a Lemo plug for my A20’s, the controller change made it sound different as well. I’ll do a few flights with just the Tango, and report back if I notice a tone difference in the stall or gear horn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I installed a Lemo plug for my A20’s, the controller change made it sound different as well. I’ll do a few flights with just the Tango, and report back if I notice a tone difference in the stall or gear horn.

I've heard that the LEMO plug version of the Tango will charge one battery in the box that's plugged into the panel, so when the one that's in the headset gets low you just swap them and keep going... True?

• Like 1

I like that, I’m on my theard then... I started growing it a few months before I found my Mooney. Told the better half I wasn’t going to shave till I bought a plane, luckily she likes it as long as I manscape it so it’s stuck around.

That’s too funny Charles! I did the same thing in 1987. Said I wasn’t going to trim my beard until my house sold. Anyone remember “Black Monday” in 1987? By the time my house sold I looked like I belonged in a horse and buggy in Lancaster County, PA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

That’s too funny Charles! I did the same thing in 1987. Said I wasn’t going to trim my beard until my house sold. Anyone remember “Black Monday” in 1987? By the time my house sold I looked like I belonged in a horse and buggy in Lancaster County, PA.

It’s funny to look at pictures of me just a few years ago without it and how young I look. We have a bet how old my daughter will be when she sees me without it for the first time.

• Like 2

It’s funny to look at pictures of me just a few years ago without it and how young I look. We have a bet how old my daughter will be when she sees me without it for the first time.

She’ll cry and want to know where her Daddy went.

• Like 2

We're not supposed to discuss politics here.  Likewise, Yankees fans are supposed to keep those feelings to themselves as well.

Good idea,,,,, but really hard to do with 27 championships!!!! :)

• Like 3

I have a confession. I did a year or so of commuting 2.5  to work every few days.  I have an old beater, loud sport coupe that I used for the trip.   I would routinely wear my zulu 3s for the trips and would arrive with much less fatigue and I could listen to my audiobooks on the Bluetooth.  I probably looked like an idiot if anyone saw me 

• Like 3

I've heard that the LEMO plug version of the Tango will charge one battery in the box that's plugged into the panel, so when the one that's in the headset gets low you just swap them and keep going... True?

Sorry, didn’t want to respond till I had prof. Straight from the horses mouth.

590d0d471d0c6041e0d4c6b3fc0f8157.jpg

• Like 3

This Sunday I put 4 hours on the Tangos, 5 approaches, two missed, 3.5 was hood time, .5 actual all on IFR flight plans. It was a lot of radio work.

The morning started calling clearance via Bluetooth to pick up my IFR clearance. The Tangos performed great. The tones I noticed before switching back and forth to the Bose became unnoticeable after about 10 minutes and didn’t notice it again during the day. I could hear the stall horn. It was nice not to notice the wires coming off the headset and all around I’m happy with the purchase. I’m honestly surprised more people don’t use these headsets even if you are getting them for your passengers. Specially if you give them some honest flying time. The last flight home I wore the Bose A20’s. It was an hour long flight on an IFR flight plan with about .2’s actual. Comparing the two headsets is hard. Specially with how much I paid for the Tangos vs the Bose. But I have no buyers remorse with them!!!

The last time I charged the batteries was before the maiden flight two weeks ago. So Saturday night I put them on the charger and after about 20 minutes they were already showing a full charge. I pulled them off expecting they were really not fully charged and I could run them dead Sunday. But my safety pilot used them on the last flight home and they were still just humming along. I love how well they hold a charge. I’m confident I could charge them after each flight and they would be ready to go weeks down the road.

I haven’t weighed them to see the difference between the Bose but I’m sure that info is somewhere on the net. But I don’t notice a difference. I also grew up wearing either a snowmobile or motorcycle helmet so the headsets have never strained my neck.

This weekend will probably be the first time my better half gets to use the Tangos. If she likes them over the halos I bought her last year I will probably be selling them if anyone is interested.

I prefer headsets but find my female passengers strongly dislike them. The weight and clamping force is not tolerated after ~2 hrs.  I have two pairs of a20’s and just purchased a new Zulu 3 set.  I’m hopeful the new lightspeeds will be reliable. With my older sets (two pair) I had to stop by the osh booth every year to fix at least one of them.  

Strongly considering buying a couple halo headsets just for the passengers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingcheesehead said:

Why would a Sierra be better than a Zulu, when all it really is is a plastic Zulu?

The Sierra has a completely different clamping design using two independent springs and ear cups are more comfortable.  It feels lighter to me too.. 

The zulu uses basically a metal leaf spring head band.  it sucks... Even if the zulu were $600, I'd still buy the sierra... it's just better in every way IMHO.. 

• Like 1

The Sierra has a completely different clamping design using two independent springs and ear cups are more comfortable.  It feels lighter to me too.. 
The zulu uses basically a metal leaf spring head band.  it sucks... Even if the zulu were $600, I'd still buy the sierra... it's just better in every way IMHO.. 

The comfort of the Tango that’s just like the Sierra is surprisingly nice.