Vintage Gotcha’s

I recently learned Beech/Textron Aviation has zero’d out their supply of Bo ruddervator skins and does not currently plan to build any more.

The skins are magnesium and aluminum replacements, according to the most active CRSs, are a no-go. That vintage community is in a state of shock right now, with the acknowledged ‘experts’ not having a positive outlook on the fleet. As in the value of the airframe is now in the ruddervator.

Since I’m more familiar with the modern Mooneys, is there a similar issue, other than possibly M20A wing spars and M22 parts, in the M20C-G models?

For a period of time the pressed skins for Mooney flight controls were impossible to buy.  The tooling got an upgrade/ investment then skins became available again.  

Luckily aluminum not magnesium.

Clarence

16 minutes ago, TCC said:

I recently learned Beech/Textron Aviation has zero’d out their supply of Bo ruddervator skins and does not currently plan to build any more. The skins are magnesium and aluminum replacements . . .

Beech ruddervators are always magnesium (except the very early ones which were fabric), aluminum cannot be a replacement. Only the conventional tail Beeches can be aluminum. Stuff happens and is addressed in all types of airplanes. It was a couple of years that a specific gear clutch spring or similar wasn't available for Mooneys. Gear saddles for Cessna 210s were not available for some time. It happens with all brands and it gets fixed. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Like 1

For a period of time the pressed skins for Mooney flight controls were impossible to buy.  The tooling got an upgrade/ investment then skins became available again.  
Luckily aluminum not magnesium.
Clarence

It also helped that guys like Don Maxwell started producing them as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Lasar, DMax, sabremech... Mooney.

Owner produced parts...

Then we have the used parts suppliers...

We also have places to get most of the wear parts, that are not Mooney originals...

The one part we are still looking for....

M18 Mooney Mite rubber biscuits... the Mite community is looking... if you have a lead.

We are in good hands for a while...

-a-

• Like 1

Lasar, DMax, sabremech... Mooney.

Owner produced parts...

Then we have the used parts suppliers...

We also have places to get most of the wear parts, that are not Mooney originals...

The one part we are still looking for....

M18 Mooney Mite rubber biscuits... the Mite community is looking... if you have a lead.

We are in good hands for a while...

-a-

Thanks Anthony. From what I understand with the Beech community, there’s a lack of technical data related to the skins and TXTAV doesn’t want to produce a new part and everything associated with that.

Re: Mite biscuits - is there any technical data available from Kerville? I know the Navion type club is good at turning technical data into product support...if it’s good enough. They appear to use an escrow process to generate/commit demand for production under an owner produced parts model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M20F said:

This is why I ended up with a Mooney versus a Comanche.  No tooling to make parts after the flood.  

I own arguablely the rarest of the Comanche series and have never had an issue with parts or parts cost.  I’d say parts availability is equal among Mooney and Piper products of the early 60’s to 70’s.

Clarence

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I own arguablely the rarest of the Comanche series and have never had an issue with parts or parts cost.  I’d say parts availability is equal among Mooney and Piper products of the early 60’s to 70’s.

Clarence

Airplanes are built largely of OEM parts which are generally pretty common (as you know).  The issue becomes when you need a new aileron (ala the Beech ruddervator issue).  Mooney can make any Mooney part, Piper cannot make anything related to your 400.   

8 hours ago, M20F said:

Airplanes are built largely of OEM parts which are generally pretty common (as you know).  The issue becomes when you need a new aileron (ala the Beech ruddervator issue).  Mooney can make any Mooney part, Piper cannot make anything related to your 400.   

Well....when the FAA issued an AD on the stabilator control horn Piper forged new parts, when Piper issued an S/B on the stabilator torque tube they produced new ones, when owner asked for new landing gear push/pull cables Piper geared up and built new ones, when I wanted to replace my throttle cable, I ordered it from Piper.

As for skins, none on the Comanche series are pressed with special dies like Mooney, Beech, Cessna, all of its skins are flat or in the case of the leading edges are rolled.

Clarence