NFlightCam cable audio issue - GoPro Hero 4 Silver not recording

Rick Junkin

My GoPro Hero 4 Silver(s) won't record aircraft system audio using the NFlightCam patch cord. I have two cameras, two patch cords, two headsets, and two airplanes that I've tried them in, with the same results in every possible combination of camera, patch cord, headset and airplane. I'm working with Patrick Carter at NFlightCam to troubleshoot, but thought I'd check my brethren here to see if anyone has run up against - and solved - this issue. Some details:

1. Both cameras have the latest GoPro firmware
2. I have the correct FlightCam patch cords for the Hero 4 Silver
3. The patch cord will charge the cameras from an external battery source
4. Both cameras appear to be looking for an audio signal through the patch cord as the internal camera microphones are turned off and the playback audio is a low level hiss
5. Both tested airplanes have Garmin GMA340 audio panels, and I'm using Bose A20 bluetooth headsets
6. The headset plugged into the patch cord has normal audio
7. I've tried both patch cords with both the pilot and copilot headset jacks in both airplanes, and with both cameras
8. I've tried various volume settings on the audio panel with no success/improvement

Any ideas? Don't assume that I know ANYTHING about how to operate a GoPro beyond turning it on, syncing with a GoPro wifi remote control, and starting the recording. Treat me like a child with a new toy and you'll be at the right level of competence. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Rick

Edited by Junkman
added detail

Only thing I can think of that you did not mention was your sd card, those can be a problem, I use lexars and they have never given me an issue. Also what resolution are you recording at?

https://www.amazon.com/high-Definition-Camera-high-Speed-tachograph-Memory/dp/B07Q74H6ZW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=lexar+sd+card+reader+high+definition&qid=1555880663&s=electronics&sr=1-4

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M20C_AV8R said:

Only thing I can think of that you did not mention was your sd card, those can be a problem, I use lexars and they have never given me an issue. Also what resolution are you recording at?

https://www.amazon.com/high-Definition-Camera-high-Speed-tachograph-Memory/dp/B07Q74H6ZW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=lexar+sd+card+reader+high+definition&qid=1555880663&s=electronics&sr=1-4

I'm also using a Lexar card, 64GB. I also tried a SanDisk card with the same results. 

The cameras are at the hangar at the moment, but I believe I have them set to wide at the highest resolution that the H4 Silver will do. Does that affect audio?

I'm headed back out tonight and will play with it a little more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Rick

I’m not overly impressed with my GoPro 5 Blacks. I have had a few issues with them, including using the NFlightcam cables. I have no idea why that cable won’t charge off of a cigar lighter or the PS Engineering port. I can get it charge using an external battery.

I second the SD chip as a probably suspect. Also have you tried running it off of the battery without the cable attached?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 6:46 PM, Marauder said:

I have no idea why that cable won’t charge off of a cigar lighter or the PS Engineering port.

@MarauderCheck the FAQ at NFlightCam. He states specifically that it won't work due to a ground loop (charging off of aircraft power). 

Please consider that Electrical Engineering was the only class I was given the opportunity to take TWICE during college.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1