Trying Out Multiple Cameras With Several New Views

ziggysanchez

Nice work, Ziggy!

First night flight I remember seeing being video’d.

Each location has great viewpoints for different reasons...

If you only get one camera... which mounting location are you going with?

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

-a- 

2 hours ago, milotron said:

Does the GoPro have built in horizontal stabilization?  It is kind of cool how the view in the camera changes slightly as the plane bounces around. It appears to remain level and a fixed heading despite what the plane is doing.

Some of the newer models do. GoPro is now on major version 7 with sometimes three or four minor versions to each major... so the older ones, no, some of the newer ones, yes.

11 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I use the tie down ring, I don’t like idea of sticking a mount on paint.

The only reason not to use the sticky mount on paint, is if your paint is so terrible that it will fall off the plane with the camera. The sticky mounts don't have any negative effect on paint.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:29 PM, ziggysanchez said:

I've been experimenting with new mounting locations for the GoPro's on my Mooney. Made a couple videos this week and thought I would share them here.

Nice capture of the tire smoke at 5:49.  I've never seen that camera angle or smoke before.

Interesting observation, Kris.

Could be smoke...

Might be moisture on the ground?... Ziggy might know if the runway was a bit damp...

Landing is the opposite of a car peeling out...

Peeling out, the rubber is moving really quickly compared to tarmac....

Landing, the rubber isn’t moving at all, when it meets the runway surface that is moving past, at about -58kias... (stall speed)

Theory of relative motion at work...

Each landing takes a bit of rubber off it at the first contact... a really light landing gets a long squeak... a heavy landing shortens the squeak as the wheel is forced to accelerate over a shorter distance...

PP thoughts only, not a physicist...

Best regards,

-a-

Some comments on the cameras and the mounts. 

I use the sticky mounts all the time and my experience is that they don't damage the paint and they don't fall off... if and that is a BIG IF the temperatures are below 100... above 100 anything can happen. I lost a camera because I did not realize that the temperature had gone above 100 and the sticky mount just fell off...

On stabilization.. I have mixed feelings. In principle it is OK, but the end product does not always look good. It seems "wavy". But may be newer software versions have addressed this issue. 

Multiple cameras help  produce a more interesting video by alternating the cameras and giving different perspectives to the story line. However, one of the most important aspects of these videos is the story line. The best video I have seen in a long time was a video of a Mooney produced by Kurt Snyder with background music of Imagine Dragons. Great music, great story line and wonderful shots.

• Like 2

The best video I have seen in a long time was a video of a Mooney produced by Kurt Snyder with background music of Imagine Dragons. Great music, great story line and wonderful shots.

I wonder how much it costs to use the commercial music, YouTube used to identify if copywrite music was used (same tech as Soundhound) on uploading and reject videos, don’t know what current process is.

Tom

It depends on the music and what the copyright owner wants. Typically it flags it with copyrighted material and then there will be an ad that runs at the beginning of the video (you don't have control over it) and I believe the proceeds of the ad go to the copyright owner.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:32 PM, Skates97 said:

It depends on the music and what the copyright owner wants. Typically it flags it with copyrighted material and then there will be an ad that runs at the beginning of the video (you don't have control over it) and I believe the proceeds of the ad go to the copyright owner.

Yeah that is it.