Door seal glue removal

Wire wheel on a cordless drill did the job on mine. Replaced it with this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-5-16-in-x-1-4-in-x-17-ft-Black-EPDM-Cellular-Rubber-Weatherstrip-Tape-V25BK/202844545

Used both beads around the door and one bead along the bottom of the sill for the best seal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

I've searched the forums, but the search engine is not that good. does anybody have a decent way to remove the old glue from under the door seal?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A rag soaked in Toluene, rolled up and laid on the glue will soften it.

Clarence

A few weeks ago we change the door seal on our M20C.  We bought the seal, sealant, and sealant remover from a company called Knots2U.  The sealant remover works like a charm.  It is a clear gel with a citrus odor.   Not only does it remove door sealant, it also softens and allows easy removal of tank (polysulphide) sealant that was inadvertently stuck on the a/c after getting the tanks re-sealed last year.     Cleans up messes from installing new windows because those also use the 2-hour polysulphide sealant.  Good luck!

Here is the link:

https://www.knots2u.net/door-seal-adhesive-remover-1-pint/

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Lemur, How did the Knots2U door seal work for you? I ordered the cabin door kit for my Twin Comanche and plan to install it this weekend. Glad to hear the Peerco 321 adhesive remover worked well. I was dreading that part.  I am installing new door bushings and we made insert bushings for the hinge pin holes on the door hinges (door side). I am removing the old door gasket as many said it must he removed in order to get the door fitted properly. That's why I'm installing the new door seal.

Clear Skies,

Gomer

On 12/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, Need4Speed said:

Lemur, How did the Knots2U door seal work for you? I ordered the cabin door kit for my Twin Comanche and plan to install it this weekend. Glad to hear the Peerco 321 adhesive remover worked well. I was dreading that part.  I am installing new door bushings and we made insert bushings for the hinge pin holes on the door hinges (door side). I am removing the old door gasket as many said it must he removed in order to get the door fitted properly. That's why I'm installing the new door seal.

Clear Skies,

Gomer

Hey Gomer,

That door seal from Knots2U was good for the most part.  It took a little bit of "adjustment" along the bottom to get a decent seal.   By adjustment, we shimmed the aluminum "L" shaped piece upward from the bottom of the door by inserting a little bit (1/8") thick piece of gasket material under it.  This reduced the gap between the bottom of the door frame and seal.   When I take it in for annual to a MSC next week I'm going to ask them to tighten the upper hook  a little bit.  There is still a bit of hissing noise coming from the upper door.

Fred