SBM20-182

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Couldn’t have said it better. I’d like to see the finished product and hear how long it took some of the folks here who think it’s that easy. I don’t think the price for this S/B is really that bad knowing what it takes to get it within the tolerances of the drawing. I have a pretty good pile of scrap aluminum just to make the parts the quality that’s expected. 

it's just an exercise with a machinist rule.   Once you got it down, make a template. I could see an hour since I am average with sheet metal.

I have this same discussion with the support your local bike shop people.  Every time I took my bike to the shop I had to refix it.  The best day ever was when learned to build wheels.   Then I was free to have brown santa bring me parts that I ordered late at night instead of taking time to be on other people's hours. 

left to right

5 3/8 wide by 2 3/8 tall Plus thickness of material   Mine is factory.  so no riveting it on

3 `1/4 wide by 2" tall plus thickness of material.   5 rivets.  5/8 spacing Start first hole 3/8 from side

piece 2 and 3 are duplicates

Scoop

10 1/2"  overall wide.  3/4" side flanges

6" long.  1" and 3/4 drop on back of scoop   minus thickness of material

12 rivets on front

5 on side

3 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

I wanted to include a photo of the part that I am being called a cheap bastard for not wanting to spend $418 for.  

I purchased the tool to check the gear tension from you.  You make good products.  I may come across as a cheap bastard to you but you come across as a real asshole to me.  

I made add a simple request for a measurement of a baffle that you have made copies of and you call me a cheap bastard for wanting to do the same thing.  

F443C0F4-53BB-4C97-90B2-D05F6347CA0A.jpeg

I wasn’t directing my post at you, but others on this forum who are proud to call themselves CB’s whether it’s taking about parts or looking for a cheap mechanic. Looking at that exhaust hangar, I can see $419 worth especially if you want to make a profit and in order to stay in business a profit must be made. 

Now if I made that part by hand just using sheetmetal snips and a hand drill, cob weld it,  I could do it for less, but then it might not fit and will look like crap. 

I appreciate that you purchased my preload tools, regardless of calling me an a-hole. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sabremech said:

It’s not the cost of making the parts that makes them expensive. It’s the certification process. You want quality parts that fit and perform their intended function for a long time, it costs money. Frankly, if you’re a CB and don’t like the cost of parts, you own the wrong airplane and should be flying an experimental. 

It sure looks like your calling me a cheap bastard but what do I know.  I find it interesting that the exhaust clamp for my plane is just over $100 but the one in the photo is $418.  The difference is how the ear is welded onto the strap.  I don’t mind paying for quality.  I do mind having to spend 4x more for a part.  

This is my first Mooney but it’s my 3rd plane.  The other 2 were Beechcraft.  I have replaced exhaust systems on my beech and the hanger wasn’t a $1000 part.  I’m finding the part pricing for Mooney a bit insane.  Dowley can repair an exhaust system for less than the cost of a hanger for a Mooney.  

Are  you the guy that is making this hanger?  

I made the tool to replace the shock disks on my plane based on pics you posted here.  You are very helpful to the Mooney community and I thank you for that.

Thank you you yeti for the measurements.  That is exactly what I was looking for!  I’m in the process of repairing my cracked baffles.   I don’t know if my plane has heat problems and could benefit from this kit.  It would be easy to add it now.   I will be installing a E.I. 30p+c during this annual/restoration.  This plane is new to me and needed lots of love.

"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. " ― Adam Smith

“The great virtue of a free market system is that it does not care what color people are; it does not care what their religion is; it only cares whether they can produce something you want to buy. It is the most effective system we have discovered to enable people who hate one another to deal with one another and help one another.” 
― Milton Friedman

Mooneynomics 101

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

I wanted to include a photo of the part that I am being called a cheap bastard for not wanting to spend $418 for.  

I purchased the tool to check the gear tension from you.  You make good products.  I may come across as a cheap bastard to you but you come across as a real asshole to me.  

I made add a simple request for a measurement of a baffle that you have made copies of and you call me a cheap bastard for wanting to do the same thing.  

F443C0F4-53BB-4C97-90B2-D05F6347CA0A.jpeg

I am going to say it again.  And yes this is product bashing.   The hanger or is that hangar on mine only has a bolt on one side.  This two sided bolt design I believe would interfere with the cowl flap disconnect.  There is not alot of room to play and the engine moves around a fair amount.  Since this hanger is a design change from mooney factory what make the jegs  https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/309011/10002/-1

$418.00 for that hangar is ridiculous if several were manufactured at once. However, making a one-off part like that might justify the 4 hours of labor for a skilled fabricator.

If producing more than one-at-a-time: Someone would only need to produce one of these hangars every four hours for ten weeks to produce a quantity of 100 Hangars, while still being able to charge $100 per hour. It's hard to understand how that wouldn't be considered ridiculous.

Edited by David_H
Grammar Correction