SBM20-182

Does anyone have the dimensions for the baffles this SB includes for improving cooling?  I’m fixing my old baffles and thought it would be a good time to do this work.

You talking about these? Excuse the rather large squashed bug.

1c043f0be8b7fee1905af2ba3a7131c3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The kit is available. Maybe a member here has one laying around that can take some measurements. Seems quite pricey for a couple pieces of bent sheet metal. (CB rant)

https://lasar.com/service-bulletin-kits/service-bulletin-kit-182-scoop-kit-engine-cowling-mod-m20-182-000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

The kit is available. Maybe a member here has one laying around that can take some measurements. Seems quite pricey for a couple pieces of bent sheet metal. (CB rant)

https://lasar.com/service-bulletin-kits/service-bulletin-kit-182-scoop-kit-engine-cowling-mod-m20-182-000

And a nicely stamped lower cowl duct.

Clarence

It never ceases to amaze me what the costs are on some of the simplest parts can be. While doing my oil change I was inquiring about a Bravo that was being serviced. They showed me a metal gasket for the exhaust just a simple two inch ring. Was three hundred dollars. Fortunately the one needing replaced was not as expensive.  

Well there clearly is a market for non-complex unapproved replacement parts. Like the stupid compartment door hinge or this SB M20-180 kit. We're talking about $1.50 in metal selling for $395+

This is just ridiculous.

How about a phantom manufacturing firm catering to hangar fairies?

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 2:41 PM, Marauder said:

You talking about these? Excuse the rather large squashed bug.

1c043f0be8b7fee1905af2ba3a7131c3.jpg

I can measure and send you the dimensions.   I believe the alum is .125    a 2'x2' piece will cost you $39    The 5 rivets in the picture hold on a strap that makes a right angle further to the left that bolts the side baffle on.   I just ordered a couple hundred $$ of supplies to fix the small strap which broke.    plus points to @Marauder for polishing....

I can measure and send you the dimensions.   I believe the alum is .125    a 2'x2' piece will cost you $39    The 5 rivets in the picture hold on a strap that makes a right angle further to the left that bolts the side baffle on.   I just ordered a couple hundred $$ of supplies to fix the small strap which broke.    plus points to [mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] for polishing....

You noticed! I do spend a few hours every year polishing those components.

They have a S B for an exhaust hanger for my plane too.  LASAR wants $419 for a exhaust hanger and almost $1000 if you want the strap and bracket that goes with it.  I owned Beechcraft planes for the last 8 years and people would always tell me what nice planes beech made but how proud they were of their parts.  I call BS.  It looks to me like all manufacturers are trying to kill off the old products they made.  I think this is why Van’s keeps selling kits.

It’s not the cost of making the parts that makes them expensive. It’s the certification process. You want quality parts that fit and perform their intended function for a long time, it costs money. Frankly, if you’re a CB and don’t like the cost of parts, you own the wrong airplane and should be flying an experimental. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Yetti said:

I can measure and send you the dimensions.   I believe the alum is .125    a 2'x2' piece will cost you $39    The 5 rivets in the picture hold on a strap that makes a right angle further to the left that bolts the side baffle on.   I just ordered a couple hundred $$ of supplies to fix the small strap which broke.    plus points to @Marauder for polishing....

Definitely not .125 aluminum. The ones I made for guitarmaster are .032, 2024-T3 aluminum. The extra air outlet that’s included with the S/B may help with cooling on a stock cowling but had no effect on mine. 

4 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

It’s not the cost of making the parts that makes them expensive. It’s the certification process. You want quality parts that fit and perform their intended function for a long time, it costs money. Frankly, if you’re a CB and don’t like the cost of parts, you own the wrong airplane and should be flying an experimental. 

The certification and drawings for all this stuff has existed for 40 years.   So it's not that.   For your parts yes.    Insurance and lawyers are what costs soo much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

The certification and drawings for all this stuff has existed for 40 years.   So it's not that.   For your parts yes.    Insurance and lawyers are what costs soo much.

Ok, I stand corrected and apparently don’t know what I’m talking about.

A fly-by-night firm catering to hangar fairies and CB’s that makes non-complex and simple parts, like what some of these SB’s require, still could do this very inexpensively.

This hypothetical firm could acquire “meaningful measurements” from individual aircraft owners and ship them their “owner produced” parts. Or just sell them outright and ship from China.

I’m referring to simple stuff like the pathetic paper-mâché cargo door hinge not engine valves or heat treated Jesus nuts.

There is practically zero enforcement of US regulated items anyways.

8 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

Ok, I stand corrected and apparently don’t know what I’m talking about.

Nah you’ve earned your credibility at the very least. You would have a lot to lose though if the FAA actually wanted to swing their fists around. 

A homebrew seller of cheap simple parts could disappear silently and quickly. Ive already seen/heard of that with MS members here that have attempted to do just that. Any Mooney parts on Etsy? 

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Well the exhaust bracket was repaired.  I can’t see spending $418 for the hanger.  If I had the dimensions for the baffle I would consider an owner produced part (like what you made from .032).   

I don’t want to spend so much  time building an airplane but I understand why it’s done.   For the record I don’t think I am a CB.  I think $418 is a outrageous price for an exhaust hanger.

4 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Those of us who do this for a living aren’t entitled to make a profit at what we do for those who do it as a hobby.

Clarence

32 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Those of us who do this for a living aren’t entitled to make a profit at what we do for those who do it as a hobby.

Clarence

Couldn’t have said it better. I’d like to see the finished product and hear how long it took some of the folks here who think it’s that easy. I don’t think the price for this S/B is really that bad knowing what it takes to get it within the tolerances of the drawing. I have a pretty good pile of scrap aluminum just to make the parts the quality that’s expected. 

• Like 1

I wanted to include a photo of the part that I am being called a cheap bastard for not wanting to spend $418 for.  

I purchased the tool to check the gear tension from you.  You make good products.  I may come across as a cheap bastard to you but you come across as a real asshole to me.  

I made add a simple request for a measurement of a baffle that you have made copies of and you call me a cheap bastard for wanting to do the same thing.  

F443C0F4-53BB-4C97-90B2-D05F6347CA0A.jpeg