RBD Dallas Fly-in

DonMuncy

51 minutes ago, smccray said:

Sorry I’m going to miss it. Sitting at love field- backup plan since flying north isn’t in the cards today. 

Including the dry line?  Hard to fly anywhere in TX in the spring without dealing with that.

You do know that supercells develop along dry lines right?    I have no problem flying around thunderstorms and coastal storms that move inland.  The trick is to know which are the ok ones and which are the bad ones.   Bad ones usually have very slanted rain coming out the bottom.  Ok ones have vertical rain coming out.

Don is one of the greatest guys I’ve met in the Mooney community and an extremely gracious host.  This is the third Texas Springtime Fly In he has put together and the third one with marginal weather.  I hate seeing it work out this way, but knowing Don, I fully expect a fourth chance at it next year.  Thanks Don!

• Like 2

We had 7 total eating lunch. Unfortunately, no fly ins. And I don't blame anyone. We left just as a terrific storm blew in. What we lacked in quantity, we easily made up in quality. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Yetti said:

You do know that supercells develop along dry lines right?    I have no problem flying around thunderstorms and coastal storms that move inland.  The trick is to know which are the ok ones and which are the bad ones.   Bad ones usually have very slanted rain coming out the bottom.  Ok ones have vertical rain coming out.

Yep. No question crossing line on the map introduces risks. Times to do it, time to stay away. A blanket “stay away” from all lines is a little too conservative for me. 

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20111219X15943&key=1

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20121127X24828&AKey=1&RType=Summary&IType=FA

I have 3 rules for flying

1.  No single engine piston in the colorado rockies

2. Always land with an hour of gas.

3. No flying through front lines

I saw the cessna 421 pilot walking around the FBO during my flight training before he went to fly through a front line.  Pretty sure he would have survived that day had he just waited a couple hours.