Help on Bravo EDM-900 or EI MVP-50P

Looks like I am going to install one or both of these in a couple of Bravos in the near future.  For anyone that has done it, can you share with me the setup sheet that you used to set all the parameters? I did it once on an MVP-50P for an Encore and it about drove me nuts. Hoping someone who has done the installs on the Bravo can help me keep my hair on my scalp.

Also, anybody have a good working strip of Bravo Moritz gauges they want to part with? Anyone figured out how to repair the backlighting on the digital part of the gauge?

Thanks, Jimmy

• Like 1

Is the Bravo Moritz gauge the same as a the Ovation?  Probably not, right?  No TIT?  I've got the ovation gauge still I pulled from mine when I upgraded to the EDM900.  Manifold pressure is inop but the rest works.

I went with the EDM900 because its smaller and fits in my panel better.  And while its probably stupid reason and I know there are a lot of happy users, the MVP looks like its running DOS and came from the 90s.  

EDM Vs MVP is a deeply personal question. I prefer the EDM 900 for its footprint on the Mooney panel and that it does everything I need. Others prefer the MVP 50 for the larger screen and the fact it provides a lot more sensors - but all of the extra sensors are superfluous to engine management IMO. I don’t really care about gear and flaps position etc nor do I care for the added install complexity and added potential maintenance. Both provide the same GPS integration to the GPS’s for range etc., leaning functions etc...

Pick what appeals to you.

Not sure about EI install policy but with JPI an owner or shop doesn’t get to specify limits. They take their responsibility seriously and require you to provide a copy of your POH to program all the limits properly. As a primary instrument, the pilot can’t change them. I would imagine EI does the same since end users aren’t that trustworthy to provide all that they need without error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Jimmy -

We don’t install a lot of EI yet but do many EDM900’s per month.  They come from JPI with all of the parameters preprogrammed per the specific aircraft POH.  The only things you need to program are the fuel calibration, HP constant and some fine tuning of the MP, and fuel flow K-factor.  All of those are described in the install manual and take about an hour to get right after the install is done.  Please reach out to me or JPI tech if you need any more info. 

Here is the install manual : https://www.jpinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Install908-Primary_REV-K-4-18-2017jfp.pdf

I am running some great prices on JPI through 4/30:

Sanjeev 

• Like 1

Hate to say this but from a selling perspective you’d be money ahead to just black tape the bad gauges and add in a EI single replacement. Buyers have no idea what it will take to upgrade the panel to make it look decent. It’s a slippery slope that jumps over 50amu very quickly. Add in the fact that some new pfd’s have built in EIS systems I wouldn’t spend the money. 

I agree that the MVP 50 looks like an old DOS screen, however, I wanted the larger screen so I went with the JPI 930. John Miller is installing mine now in the Encore now. 

I thought I read somewhere that there is a new MVP 50 firmware out there that has really sharpened the display graphics. Or was I dreaming reading that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

+1 on Jeev’s level of customer support!  :)

+1 on large format matching... 930 vs. MVP both large format...

+1 on small JPI format 900 better than having the two round EI gauges.... (all are primary capable, check fine details)

Inviting @donkaye to show a pic of his EI in his Bravo...

Probably the best customer EI has in the Mooney community...

Can also answer why EI vs a Garmin engine monitor...

We also have the EI customer service guy around here somewhere if interested?  Oregon87.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Hate to say this but from a selling perspective you’d be money ahead to just black tape the bad gauges and add in a EI single replacement. Buyers have no idea what it will take to upgrade the panel to make it look decent. It’s a slippery slope that jumps over 50amu very quickly. Add in the fact that some new pfd’s have built in EIS systems I wouldn’t spend the money. 

The fun part is... you might be under estimating Jimmy’s client...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I thought I read somewhere that there is a new MVP 50 firmware out there that has really sharpened the display graphics. Or was I dreaming reading that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They'll sell you a new display for about $1400 if I remember correctly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

They'll sell you a new display for about $1400 if I remember correctly

Yes, you send your old unit back and get a whole new screen and internals for $1,495--a areal bargain in my opinion. The new screen has better resolution.  Although I had been requesting it for several years, EI said they would not be upgrading to "Fuel to destination" as of last year.  Well, one of the best things then did with this upgrade other than the new display, was change "Fuel to Waypoint", to "Fuel to Destination".  I need to double check that with a call to them tomorrow, but I had several waypoints in the flight plan to LA  this past weekend, and in comparing the "Fuel to Waypoint" that now has (Dest) in parenthesis. with that of the Shadin, the numbers were the same.  There are so many other features the MVP-50 has over the JPI Series, that it was a no brainer for me to choose it for my engine monitor---and I was a previous owner of the JPI 700.

It's hard to see in the picture below, but the resolution of the MVP-50 is much sharper in this version than before.

The next panel picture will include the GFC 500.

N9148W Panel 2019.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, jgarrison said:

Looks like I am going to install one or both of these in a couple of Bravos in the near future.  For anyone that has done it, can you share with me the setup sheet that you used to set all the parameters? I did it once on an MVP-50P for an Encore and it about drove me nuts. Hoping someone who has done the installs on the Bravo can help me keep my hair on my scalp.

Also, anybody have a good working strip of Bravo Moritz gauges they want to part with? Anyone figured out how to repair the backlighting on the digital part of the gauge?

Thanks, Jimmy

On the Ovation gauges there are two sets of lightbulbs .

Night lights are tied into the dimmer circuit and are 28v bulbs

Day time lights are driven from the modules and are 5v bulbs. 

You can repair the Moritz gauges yourself if you have some small tools and small soldering iron and some 680 bulbs from CEC lighting. You need to open gauge and remove board with the lights. Desolder old bulbs with minimal heat from the soldering iron and a small pick to lift pressure on the old bulbs wires so they will pop out. Replace bulbs after trimming length of wire to match old bulbs. Add a little flux to old solder, hold down pressure on new bulb to make sure it is in hole as far as possible, add a little solder and heat as little as possible to avoid damage to circuit board.

This is for the clear 5 volt daytime bulbs. I am not sure where you get blue nighttime bulbs. They come in a pack of 6 for about $10.00

On 4/22/2019 at 8:09 AM, Cruiser said:

On the Ovation gauges there are two sets of lightbulbs .

Night lights are tied into the dimmer circuit and are 28v bulbs

Day time lights are driven from the modules and are 5v bulbs. 

Its the daytime backlighting. I haven't tried the night time. Is there a way to replace the bulbs or the modules?

they are soldered on the display board. 

Rgpilot described the process ^^^^. If all are out, someone changed them before and used 28v bulbs? Or there may be other problems.

You cannot test the bulbs in the circuit, they must be removed to know if they are blown.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:48 PM, jgarrison said:

Its the daytime backlighting. I haven't tried the night time. Is there a way to replace the bulbs or the modules?

If you can get the bulbs, John over at Precision Radio could solder the new ones in.

(12134 Colwick StSan Antonio, TX · (210) 979-0905)