CA prop taxes when moving out of state

Bolter

14 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I did exactly the same thing back in 2003, wasn't hard, just had to leave the plane parked out of state for a few months (2 hr drive away, but for about $20k it was very worth it) Provided my documentation to the BOE and got my letter of exemption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now it’s 12 months. 

-Robert 

Now it’s 12 months. 
-Robert 

Actually I understood for private use you could no longer get the exemption. I assume the 12 month period you quote is only for business use? Thus I could never qualify again even at 12 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes..s as a Calif resident...the taxes we pay are all about supporting a huge non tax paying population.Medical,uninsured moterist,county /city hospital emerg fees.medical for the indecint,huge homeless population for areas with no snow.Its the world we live in.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

How does CA know if an aircraft is based in CA if the owner blocks the ADSB? Do they have ground spies?

Airport managers/operators report the N-numbers on their field.  Our self-serv fuel island also requests your N-number and prints it on your ticket, along with your full name from your credit card.

Luckily, back in 2008, I was able to avoid the use-tax with a 'family transfer' exclusion when I brought my Dad's vintage C in from IA.  

Tom

Prepaid gift cards and the elusive "N12345". 

I didn't realize how bad the Kalifornia staatssicherheitsdienst has became. Soon it'll be like the Caribbean and the airlines won't be able to afford to overnight any a/c at the airports there.

Sell now while property values are high. Move East a state or two.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Prepaid gift cards and the elusive "N12345". 

I didn't realize how bad the Kalifornia staatssicherheitsdienst has became. Soon it'll be like the Caribbean and the airlines won't be able to afford to overnight any a/c at the airports there.

Sell now while property values are high. Move East a state or two.

I recall when I used to live in Los Angeles and worked as a contractor in Fresno for a few years, the city of LA came at me with a tax bill for unpaid city tax for businesses, to the tune of a few thousand dollars, because my tax (home) address was in LA.  I had not realized one of the city codes was that all businesses based in the city are required to register with the city for tax purposes.

I reviewed the laws, and wrote a letter describing the location of my work and that I could prove it.  They responded within a couple weeks that was adequate, and that they would consider the matter settled if I registered as a business with the city ($100 or so) as required by law anyway.  They never contacted me again except to send me a business license (to put in my window, I suppose), so the matter was handled pretty expediently.

My point is that comparing every agency in California to the Nazis or suggesting there is a gestapo culture that permeates all agencies there is probably incorrect.  We've certainly heard of similar stories with Maine, Michigan and Florida, both on MS and in the news.

7 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

We've certainly heard of similar stories with Maine, Michigan and Florida, both on MS and in the news.

Enjoy the 13% income and 8.9% corporate tax rates. We read and hear anecdotes of "Nazi" experiences with the taxmen there most likely due to California being the most populous state. Hey, if you still feel like you're living free, then you're doing just fine. I still know a few people living there that aren't complaining at all about California's problems. I still chuckle though when I hear non-resident H1-B workers complain about the income taxes and prices they are subject to in California. Hence why many of their employers moving to Texas and Nevada.

Never Underestimate The Value® .... of a CPA

On 4/21/2019 at 11:28 AM, KLRDMD said:

Unreal.  I can't fathom how the BOE argued that you owed the tax???? Did you own property in California at the time of your visit?  That's about the only way I could see they could make this stick...maybe even a timeshare? I know California has some weird regulation to prevent RESIDENTS from buying an airplane out of state and then bringing it into California within the first 6 mos, or year, or something.  Did they claim you had California 'residency' based on a summer vacation? I am ashamed of my state...even more after hearing this!

Being on the left coast you are guilty until proven innocent.  I left in 97 - will never consider returning to live and now will give second thoughts about visiting.... 

17 hours ago, thinwing said:

Yikes..s as a Calif resident...the taxes we pay are all about supporting a huge non tax paying population.Medical,uninsured moterist,county /city hospital emerg fees.medical for the indecint,huge homeless population for areas with no snow.Its the world we live in.

Not quite, but not too far off either. The three big ticket items in CA are education, healthcare and pensions. Welfare is actually one of their smallest expenditures.

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/california_state_spending_pie_chart

Move to Florida, yes it's moist, but you can use all of the money you save on state income tax on a good air conditioning unit. I made the move from Los Angeles in 1997 and never looked back.