Canadian Airspace

Matt, leaving AirVenture I will be headed from KOSH to MA over Flint and Buffalo - north of Lake Erie. I will bring my passport along just in case I have to make an unanticipated landing in Ontario but from what I understand about the only requirement is that we need to be on a flight plan which need not be IFR.

I'll be interested in hearing that notion confirmed or corrected.

Other than filing a flight plan, being in contact with ATC and having a discrete code, there's nothing different.  Rules governing Canadian planes transiting US airspace and US planes transiting Canadian airspace are identical, and have no private GA fees in either case.  I'm not sure if the flight plan has to be ICAO format or not, but you might as well.  The US will eventually require it.  I do know that for entering or leaving the US with the intention to land, it has to be ICAO, not sure about transiting. 

One exception is US aircraft flying from the lower 48 to Alaska have to pay NavCan fees even if you don't land in Canada.  Cdn$17 or so.  $12 in real money

Edit for one final thought.  BasicMed is not recognised by Canada.  If you're in Canadian airspace with a BasicMed you do not have a valid medical, hence you don't have a valid license. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

For some reason I thought adsb out was required.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No ADSB requirement in Canada.  If/when there is, it’ll probably be space based since Canada is one of the founding partners of Aireon.  There’s no way Canada could afford the number of ground based ADSB sites required for low altitude coverage over such a sparsely populated  area.  Note, however, that we do already have ground based ADSB available only at high altitudes for the big iron going across the Atlantic way up north.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

In July, I'll be heading from Chicago to Maine which takes me through Canadian air space. Is there anything that I need to know as far as requirements go?

One thing to keep in mind:

Canadian Class Bravo is from 12500 to 18000ft and you need clearance to enter it even VFR.

• Like 1