Overhead vent knob 640066-00 for 1978 Mooney M20J 201

You might wind up going to a radio shop to get one of their knobs.  I think that's where Mooney got them in the first place.

Fun story, I had one of my ceiling knobs fall in my lap on landing a while back.  I asked the shop to put it back on, as it was going in for something else and I was too lazy (in truth I also didn't have the right screwdriver in the hangar).  When I next flew the airplane the knob wasn't on the ceiling, nor was it in the airplane or my hangar.  Mechanics claimed it was no where in their shop.  Lost to the gods of the air.  I went to get a replacement, and found dissimilar but serviceable one.

I went to put my replacement in the other way, and lo and behold the original knob was back in its place.  I guess my aircraft was visited by the hangar gnomes.

17 minutes ago, steingar said:

Hopefully someone will start 3D printing these things.

cept mine is aluminum.   It would take about 30 minutes to spin one out on the lathe.  I would do knurled, Not sure how to create the straight line cuts. Then file a 337 in triplicate. :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

cept mine is aluminum.   It would take about 30 minutes to spin one out on the lathe.  I would do knurled, Not sure how to create the straight line cuts. Then file a 337 in triplicate. :-)

Straight line cuts would be milled. Unless you're talking through the knurling [but not done by the knurling tool on the lathe], in which case a triangular file should suffice.

Need an electric typewriter for the 337 triplicate form, though.

Mine has been getting looser and looser for quite some time. I just found a replacement at the local Ace Hardware that's better than the original. I think it's the Hillman Fastener part number 55403. I have another one, if anyone wants it. $5 plus shipping. 

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

On 4/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, drgrasso@gbcrs.org said:

The round knob was lost during the overhead panel upholstering. Mooney does not make any more. I am looking for an original, even though could replace with a Radio Shack item.

Francesco Grasso

text 410 302-2021 drgrasso@gbcrs.org

I have my old silver ones.  It's the ones for the vent, and two for the lights.  I'm not sure if they are the same ones.  Do you have a pic of where you need it?

• 5 months later...