Stec Unknown Part

lifendet

Altitude sensor.  Supposed to be plumbed into the static system.  It gives the barometric reference to the autopilot so that it can hold altitude and provide vertical functions from the autopilot.

Plug the hose back onto the nipple.  It probably got pulled off inadvertently when someone reached their hand up there.

Some might say that technically you ought to have a static system leakdown check conducted to ensure static system integrity.  Probably not a bad idea.

• Like 1

I don't know how long it's been off but I do my own mx on my Aircraft. The last time I was under that area was when I had AI issues a month ago. Changed that out and haven't been there until today just doing routine observation. I've flown it about 80 hrs since then but nothing stood out as a problem other than at times my Autopilot oscillates at certain altitude with power settings it doesn't like. Flights conducted with cabin heat on and off at times with no gotcha scenarios. 

Great detailed pic!

Looks like Diaphragms, and electric wires... looks like an altitude measuring and reporting device... perfect for holding altitude with an AP...

Looks like there needs to have something holding the tube on...

There aren’t any barbs to increase friction on it...

Did you find an odd piece of safety wire fall off onto the ground nearby?

There is probably a procedure for wiring the hose in place... or a specific hose clamp that works...

Use caution with safety wire, it may cut the hose in half....

Support properly to keep the hose from bending and getting pinched...

See if you can find an installation manual for the Stec... they probably have a few lines regarding this part...

The STEC part number is hidden in plane sight.... 

https://www.ebay.com/p/S-TEC-Static-Pressure-Transducer-PN-0111-replacement-for-blue-version/1022960857

There looks like some tell-tail signs may have been left behind... some dissimilar metal corrosion left on the brass nipple? The hose looks pretty old and permanently stretched... looks like there may be a few inches of broken hose with a piece of tie wire attached to it on the floor somewhere...

Note the hose clamps in the eBay pics on their Stec part...

Speaking of hoses... There is probably a better quality of hose for that job as well...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great detailed pic!

Looks like Diaphragms, and electric wires... looks like an altitude measuring and reporting device... perfect for holding altitude with an AP...

Looks like there needs to have something holding the tube on...

There aren’t any barbs to increase friction on it...

Did you find an odd piece of safety wire fall off onto the ground nearby?

There is probably a procedure for wiring the hose in place... or a specific hose clamp that works...

Use caution with safety wire, it may cut the hose in half....

Support properly to keep the hose from bending and getting pinched...

See if you can find an installation manual for the Stec... they probably have a few lines regarding this part...

The STEC part number is hidden in plane sight.... 

https://www.ebay.com/p/S-TEC-Static-Pressure-Transducer-PN-0111-replacement-for-blue-version/1022960857

There looks like some tell-tail signs may have been left behind... some dissimilar metal corrosion left on the brass nipple? The hose looks pretty old and permanently stretched... looks like there may be a few inches of broken hose with a piece of tie wire attached to it on the floor somewhere...

Note the hose clamps in the eBay pics on their Stec part...

Speaking of hoses... There is probably a better quality of hose for that job as well...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Saw that part number as well and tght numbers were missing lol. Thanks for the find and I got a similar hose in the pic and attached it with zip ties lol. Appreciate the help from everyone. 

Edited by lifendet
  • Like 1